Quick Question On Dental Price

Guest LeanneSchatz

We would pay less than $300 for that here .... wow - that's like robbing you without a gun! $ 757.00 :yikes

Doc had a full dental this spring, with bloodwork - no extractions, and it was $145.00 total.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest mcsheltie

YIKES!!!! The top end hospital in the Detroit area that is a Grey practice charges $325. That is everything; blood work, temp monitoring & blanket (obviously not the technical name for it) that keeps their temps steady, fluoride treatment etc... It is a very high tech practice. I about dropped my teeth when they told me the cost.

My other vet who does as good a job charges $135, plus $8 for extractions, everything included.

Around here $400ish is the going rate.

My iggy had a dental, bloodwork beforehand, propofol protocol, etc...and 4 extractions and I believe his bill was around $350

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I just had one yesterday. The actual dental was $269 less $40 because we brought her in sooner than 18 mos (mine is definately an annual visit).

They had two extractions one large molar and one small ($75+15+gum suture $12+nerve block $18+x-ray $20). So if no extractions it is not too bad.

Then 14-Clavamox $52 (This seems high to me) and 7 Rimadyl for pain-$24..GT=$444..

I think I will return the Rimadyl as I had some and she is recovering nicely today with no pain symptoms.

Plus they threw in a wellness exam for free as part of the treatment = ear cleaning, nail trim and express anal glands. So although it totals up to a lot of money - I think that they did a lot of stuff to her and includes the meds which I think are high. I got two calls from the Doc - one after exam with his recommendations and one when she woke up...So between his time and the vet tech - I hate paying the money but I think they took good care of her and it was worth it -- especially to get an infected tooth out of her mouth. I think you can bank on budgeting for this for an annual large expense for a greyhound

Guest SandOSU98

Sounds a little pricey, but you won't know for sure unless you seek out a price quote from another vet. For example, my old vet quoted me $450 + ? $$ for possible extractions (said she wouldn't know until she "got in there") and my new vet quoted me $150-250, no extractions.

We pay about $800 to $1000 for a full dental under anesthesia here, at least I did the last time. It totally depends on where you live, IMO.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest suenotto
I paid over $600 here in NY a couple years ago. A friend of mine took her dog to another vet...she paid $140 total! Obviously he was fine, so I don't understand the price difference.

I can't speak for those vets specifically, but I can tell you that often there is a great price difference depending on which anesthesia the office uses.

Some of the cheaper anesthesias can cause blood pressures, heart rates and breathing rates to drop very low. You may not notice any difference when the dog wakes up but that does not mean that oxygenation and blood flow to vital organs has not been compromised (causing damage that may been seen years later). That's why these medicines are not used to anesthetize people.

I personally would not take that risk. Propofol is very expensive, but its very safe and is exactly the same thing Drs use on people.

Its a shame that vet offices do not take the time to explain and educate their clients about costs.

-Susie

AAS Veterinary Nursing

Guest suenotto
Interesting Susie, I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

I recommend asking your vet what drugs they use. Usually there are 2 drugs used, one to induce sleep, (usually injectable) the other to keep the animal asleep for a longer period of time (usually a gas).

A few of the common injectable induction agents used are barbituates (like phenobarbital and thiopental), Cyclohexamines (ketamine or ketamine mixed with another tranquilizer like diazepam) and propofol.

Propofol has a wide margin of safety in both dogs and cats. I think most people know that barbiturates are very risky to use on greyhounds due to their low body fat. As far as cost goes, the cost of propofol induction is approximately four times that of ketamine-diazepam and eight times that of thiopental.

Isoflurane and Sevoflurane are the 2 gas anesthetics your vet should be using. Methoxyflurane and Halothane are much riskier choices.

I would be really curious to hear what anesthetic agents the very low cost veterinarians are using. (those charging $~150)

Edited by suenotto

Guest hlpnhounds

It totally depends upon the type of extractions etc. Multiple root extractions can be quite time consuming and difficult to remove.....there may be some infection involved that needs attention with Doxirobe. Dentals can take quite a while under anesthesia.

You are hopefully paying for skilled techs monitoring anesthesia and performing the prophy as well as the monitoring equipment, IV fluids, recovery etc.

Depending on the extractions and amount of tartar involved, the price does not seem that out of line to me.