Dewclaw Injury

Guest Hannan

Hi GTers,

I hate for this to be my first post. I've been lurking for a while. My big boy Rafael injured his dewclaw today while racing around at an enclosed baseball diamond I take him to.

I had no idea the injury even occurred until after I got home and put my son to bed. I came downstairs and noticed small blood spots all around my carpet and kitchen floor. It took me a while to even figure out where the blood was coming from on him. It looked like the dewclaw was bent back and there was a trickle of blood coming out from the top of it. To stop the bleeding, I wrapped it in gauze. This has stopped the bleeding and he is not bleeding through the gauze.

He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort and is not trying to lick the injury or get at it through the gauze.

Is this something that can heal on its own, or does it warrant a vet visit? He was fully vetted in early May before he came to me, so I'm not even established with a local vet yet.

My intuition tells me to give it a couple days to see how the injury heals on its own, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance :)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frankie has torn his twice so I am fairly familiar with dewclaws, unfortunately! The first time, he ripped it completely out and I took him to the e-vet to be bandaged and antibiotics. Probably wasn't necessary; I now know I could have applied first aid at home. Second time he did it, the claw did not come completely off. I bandaged him on the field with my first aid kit then when we got home I cleaned it better with some 50/50 peroxide and water; applied neosporin, padded around it with a little cotton gauze and vet wrapped over it. Always make sure not to wrap bandages too tightly. When I removed the bandage two days later, the claw came off with the wrapping and he healed up fine.

It is a painful injury, and there is a risk of infection; but if your hound does not seem to be hurting too bad and as long as there is no sign of infection, and you feel comfortable doing so, I'd say it is something you can try treating at home.

Had that happen twice here. Both times, after I unwrapped the nail was in the bandage. Both times, the nail grew back. I did epsom salt soaks twice a day for a week and then left uncomvered. Just keep an eye out for redness and swelling which indicate infection.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11

This is from our first aid presentation ... hope this helps~

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury

Ah, thank you everyone.

The only thing I missed doing is applying antibiotic ointment. Now that I'm confident the bleeding has stopped, I'm gonna take off the wrap, clean, apply neosporin and re-wrap. Then bedtime.

Someone should have told me how scary and stressful it is when they get hurt...

Edited by Hannan