One Grey Okay?

Guest BunnyBlab

How many greys do you have?  

581 members have voted

1. 1. How many greys do you have?

• More than 3
    • I'm currently greyless

Guest BunnyBlab

I'm a fiend for information today! I've been lurking and now I know how much I don't know! (I currently don't have any greyhounds, but I'm researching the issue like a madwoman!)

Is it okay for a greyhound to be the only greyhound in the house? They're huddled all together in their crates at the track, I assume. They're used to the hum of a ton of fellow canines.

I've seen so many completely awesome pictures on this forum, but rarely do I see a greyhound alone in them. Is this simply because the breed is so addictive to people or more because the greys like cuddling companions?

I have a house with a lazy cat and an equally lazy bunny. The people in it aren't quiet or lazy, but will we be enough? We work from home, if that matters.

Input appreciated!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one and she's fine. She's happy to see other dogs, but happy to leave too -- even when we're with other greys she often wanders around alone, or tries to play with the humans! Not all hounds are that confident, though; I gather there are many who are much happier with a hound companion. I find that sometimes GT can make me feel guilty about having only one, but as a single person without a real yard who travels a fair bit, I cannot realistically see accommodating multiple greys at present. I work really hard at giving my one hound a great, stimulating life with lots of new experiences and fun interactions with many people and dogs!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest LindsaySF
Is this simply because the breed is so addictive to people or more because the greys like cuddling companions?

The first one. :lol

Some people have just one Greyhound and it does fine. Just make sure you choose one that is ok being an only dog. You working from home will help a little too.

Guest shanesmom

I only have on grey. The grey I had before him was an only grey too. I do take him to lots of greyhound events and as much as he loves to be around other greys, he still is always looking for me.

Guest twhitehouse

I have only one greyhound. Although, we went through some seperation anxiety for a long time, I don't think that even having another dog would have helped her...she wanted us and only us to be with her. :rolleyes:

That being said...she is completely fine being an only dog now. She doesn't really like other dogs and does well entertaining herself! Knowing what I know now, I probably would have made sure I adopted a more confident dog and maybe would have asked if I could foster with intent to make sure she was a good fit for out home.

I hope you adopt soon. :) Adopt one...see how it goes. You never know, you may want another right away anyway! :lol

I have 2, there brothers and came home together. We knew we'd probably end up with 2 anyway and as we were both working fulltime we felt better that they'd have company.

I think greyhounds are just addictive, they are quite easy to have around and its nice to see them interact with each other. Greys may need a little time to adjust to being alone after kennel life, but you'll find a fair few people on GT that do only have 1 grey and can vouch that their dogs are happy with being lone dogs.

Aston's an only dog (though we HAVE only had him for 5 weeks.. ;) ). He is very confident and has no issues being alone during the day, though he is not a new retiree - a family had him for about four years before we adopted him. I can see how having two greys would be AWESOME, but it would also make logistics much more complicated - as it is, Aston can be very compact in his living style but also has BOUNCETIME around our small condo; I stuff a 72-lb dog into the rear seat of my Tercel for trips to work, and though they love Aston, I'm pretty sure my supervisors wouldn't want a full brace of greys trooping through their building on a daily basis.. :blink: etc. etc.

My fiance and I have already talked about getting a second, and although we are already dreamily ogling GreySave's adoptable list (bad! BAD! WHYYY do I torture myself), we've agreed that a second dog would make space and money uncomfortably tight, especially for the current financial climate.

Blah blah blah, anyways. :) A rescue group can tell you which of their greys would be OK as only dogs, just as they can tell you which ones are less likely to think your other critters are delicious :nod

Aston seems quite content as it is. He's warming up to us, and finally starting to enjoy the love-bath he gets when we're home :D

Guest BunnyBlab
I hope you adopt soon. :) Adopt one...see how it goes. You never know, you may want another right away anyway! :lol

OMG, our house will explode if we have more than 1 big dog! Or my brain will! I'm used to animals under 6 pounds (bunnies). Even my 9-lb. cat seems enormous to me!

If we had a bigger yard, it may be a difft story. The house itself is pretty large, but the fenced yard is teeny.

Thanks for the input, though. The more info I have the better decision we'll make...

Guest longdoglady

I have an only greyhound and a cat. Anna missed other greyhounds for the first couple of weeks, she would look at her reflection and cry, she wanted a familiar face amongst all the crazy new stuff. She soon settled in though, found the toys, found the sofa, then the bed, she loves cuddling up to her humans. They love company so if you work from home no problem, he or she will be in greyhound heaven. :)

We have three greyhounds. Our first, Celeste, was an only grey for eight months. She would have been fine as an only dog. It was the humans that made the decision to add two more.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have a 2000 sq. ft. house. I have 2 cats and 3 greyhounds (2 I own, and 1 I foster).

One thing to note, It is going to be very difficult finding a greyhound that will not want to eat your bunny. I am speaking literally. My boy Bart has had a few meals of bunnies in our back yard. Not impossible, but very difficult. Just to let you know.

Guest BunnyBlab
One thing to note, It is going to be very difficult finding a greyhound that will not want to eat your bunny. I am speaking literally. My boy Bart has had a few meals of bunnies in our back yard. Not impossible, but very difficult. Just to let you know.

Thanks for the advice! I've got a thread going on that, too...

Plenty of people have only one and they tend to do just fine. There are some that really do need another dog and suffer from separation anxiety if they don't have a companion, but for most, especially if you handle things correctly from day 1, can do fine as an only. Patricia McConnell's booklet I'll Be Home Soon is a great resource for educating yourself about separation anxiety and how to prevent it.

But yes, be forewarned that they are addictive. And honestly, while many can do well as only's, almost all would be happier with a companion imo. I don't think that means it's cruel to have only one - I did for several years although I fostered almost constantly during that time - but you'll want to provide more than adequate exercise, playtime, and training to keep your dog stimulated and happy.

On the bunny topic, I want to point out that prey drive outside is VERY different from prey drive inside. My dog is a perfect example. Our cat she gets along swimmingly with, aside from an occasional growl if he gets in her space, but she has been known to go after feral cats outside and once was able to pick one up in her mouth before I realized what was happening. Your best bet is to find a group that fosters their dogs and find a dog that has been in a home with small animals and has a very low prey drive. Ask for one that came in and ignored the cat from day 1 - that'll be the type of dog that can be taught to live peacefully with a bunny (although I would never let them outside together or leave them alone unattended together when you leave the house).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have one greyhound and two Italian greyhounds. I had my greyhound for about 1.5 yrs before getting another dog. He was totally fine. He is very independent and happy to be the center of attention.

My two IGs, on the other hand, cuddle ALL the time. They really seem to enjoy having another of their kind around. My greyhound cuddles with them also, but it is only when they come to him.

If you are gone from the house long hours, I do think most dogs enjoy having company. I don't think it necessarily has to be another greyhound though.

btw, I would definitely have more than one greyhound if I had unlimited space and money :)

Guest KennelMom

I voted more than three. 16 of our own and 2 long term private fosters.

They are additive and I really believe they are best enjoyed in multiples. My ideal pack number is about 9 I think...I also think most of them really enjoy living with other greys. However, many of them can live alone just fine and many of them do...not everyone wants or can have multiple large dogs.

Guest EmbersDad
I'm a fiend for information today! I've been lurking and now I know how much I don't know! (I currently don't have any greyhounds, but I'm researching the issue like a madwoman!)

Is it okay for a greyhound to be the only greyhound in the house? They're huddled all together in their crates at the track, I assume. They're used to the hum of a ton of fellow canines.

I've seen so many completely awesome pictures on this forum, but rarely do I see a greyhound alone in them. Is this simply because the breed is so addictive to people or more because the greys like cuddling companions?

I have a house with a lazy cat and an equally lazy bunny. The people in it aren't quiet or lazy, but will we be enough? We work from home, if that matters.

Input appreciated!

ember was an only dog for the 7 years i had her. i added althea when she was 11 and she was soon diagnosed with osteo and passed away. she did just fine as an only dog. i currently have 2, althea and hero, after losing jed in july quite suddenly with what we suspect was a hemangiosarcoma. hero came from florida and mama caffie and healed a badly broken heart.

I have had 2 greyhounds, one at a time. Both were / are only dogs, and just fine with it. My house isn't big enough for 2 big dogs. I wish it was, but it isn't.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Parsniptoast

I have two, one that wishes he was still numero uno and one that only comes alive in the company of other dogs.

I'm really glad I have two but the dynamics are different than if I'd had just one - and I'm not sure I'd have plumped for two had I known how my relationship with the first one would change so... but now that I have two I'm left wanting more!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Greyhounds!

I've seen greyhounds live without other dogs, and it's very hard on them if the family is away from home a lot for work or whatever. In my opinion, you stand a good chance to have one happy greyhound if you are at home with them the majority of the time. It isn't a good situation for every greyhound, but hopefully the group you work with will find a good match for you.

Good luck.

When I adopted my first grey, Rowdy, he was a bounce coming from a home he had shared with an IG. He had allot of trouble adjusting to being alone while I worked and about 7 months after I got him I adopted a second. Tracy was also a bounce coming from a home she shared with another grey. Having her in the house really helped Rowdy.

When Rowdy passed Tracy did just fine on her own, it was me that really needed to have a second hound. I have a small townhouse, 1,000 square feet but there is no problem having two big dogs. They just take the couch and I have the chair. :D

I think it really just depends on the dog and believe that some are perfectly fine being the only dog. Good luck and I'm sure your adoption group will pick the right dog for you.

Many greyhounds can be quite happy being an only dog in a home. Especially if they have people with them most of the time. Be very up front with your adoption group about needing a small animal and cat safe grey who can live by him/her self. Generally, look for a fairly confident dog who doesn't look to a companion for cues on how to behave. An older grey who is a bounce (returned to the group from a home situation) can be an ideal candidate. They are often already used to living as a single, and there are so many returns nowadays due to the economy.

Don't let their age be a deterrent to adopting a bounce. My nine year old has as much energy and get up and go as my four year old, BUT he doesn't need constant supervision!

Good luck!

greysmom :D

There was also a poll in the Everything Else section a couple weeks ago about who has an single grey. You might try and find that one for some further insight.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If we had a bigger yard, it may be a difft story. The house itself is pretty large, but the fenced yard is teeny.

Thanks for the input, though. The more info I have the better decision we'll make...

We got Bumper 2 weeks after we adopted his littermate. Completely unplanned, but happenchance brought them back together under our roof!

Won't repeat what has been said about the alone factor, but note that you don't need a fenced in yard. We do great without one as it gets us out walking the neighbourhood and socializing the boys.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road