Jaynie - Slow Recovery From Anaesthetic

Valium/ketamine can have lots of different reactions in different dogs. My Onyx had an adverse reaction. She actually pulled out of her collar and ran down the halls of the hospital screaming at the top of her lungs. (she was about 8 at the time, she's now almost 14)

So.......big letters in her file....no ketamine.

My Sam wears an engraved tag that says, "WARNING: NO KETAMINE"

Sam had seizures under ketamine during a dental, although he'd had ketamine at least twice before without a problem. My vet's phone call began, "Sam's okay now, but..."

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why they would even use ace AND ket-val? That seems odd. We've had a lot of anaesthesia combinations here but never that one.

Really hope she is better by now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just spoke with the clinic - they said Jaynie ate the food (rice and boiled beef) I brought in last evening (vet stopped in to see her at 1am and it was gone). They actually went out to the grocery store across the street this morning and got more which they cooked and gave her - vet called and said she devoured it. And also that she whined a little when he was petting her (she does this - it's a happy thing).

So the fluids and meds she's on, together with time seem to be helping and I'll be able to bring her home later today. The bloodwork they repeated yesterday all came back fine also.

I'll know better once I have her home and can observe her myself, but she certainly sounds much better than yesterday.

Thank you all for the good thoughts.

Glad to hear the good report. Let us know how she is when you bring her home.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Jaynie seems much better. She walked with a bit of pulling (OK, in the great scheme of things this isn't good, but it's a good sign in context). She ate her dinner, though wouldn't go to her feeder - but served while she was lying on a dog bed was acceptable. :rolleyes:

She seems to want to sleep a lot, which isn't a worry at the moment - she was given pain meds at the clinic, and has been through a lot.

Tomorrow, if she eats breakfast I'll see if she'll take a piece of one of the several dehydrated beef treats we have just gotten. And maybe, between meals, also see if she and Arlie want to spend some time in the backyard. (I tried this today - Arlie tore around, Jaynie took out the sweet peas on the garden fence trying to get her muzzle off. They were going to seed anyway. :lol )

In sum, she's better than she's been, but not back to the Jaynie of the weekend before the dental. As long as she keeps improving a little every day, I am happy, though I miss my "real" Jaynie. :wub: