Advice Please...

DustysMom

This has come up a lot lately with bee stings. The vets and techs on this site have said that standard dosage is 1 mg per pound of body weight. So, we used 2-3 benadryl for our 80-pound greyhound (we were being conservative).

For more info/confirmation, do a search for "stung". Tons of posts lately! Including one from me on Saturday.....

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest Energy11

You can give (2) - (3) 25 mg. Bendryl (not the allergy sinus kind) every four to six hours if needed. I'd start with two, 25 mg. and see how that works. Can't hurt, that's for sure. Good Luck!

[The box says Benadryl allergy. Is that okay?

A little late, but that should be OK. The drug you want is diphenhydramine. What you don't want is benedryl-D, Allergy plus sinus.

Plain ole generic diphenhydramine is fine too. Hope Dusty is feeling better.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

At this point the vet thinks something bit/stung him. He has a fever and is very swollen and sore. He's on pred, antibiotic and we refilled the diarrhea meds for the sure-to-come soupy poopy. Being lifted into the back of the SUV four times totally freaked him out (not such a good thing for a dog with LP and LS) so by the time we got him back out at home, he was wheezing and collapsing in the back end. Slightly traumatic for all involved but he's resting comfortably now. We had an appointment for the vet to come to the house Thursday night to trim his nails so if Dusty needs to be checked again, the vet will come here. Hopefully we notice a difference in the swelling by late tomorrow, assuming is was a bite of some kind. Don't want to think of the other possibilities. Crossing fingers!

Guest Energy11

With all that he is on, it must have been a severe allergic reaction. Oakly reacted similar, but no fever, when he was bitten by fire ants. It took him about two days to fully recover. Hugs and good thoughts for your boy!

Guest eaglflyt

I hope the medications help him improve quickly. I'll keep him in my prayers ... bless his heart, he's dealing with several issues.

Please give him scritches from OK.