Runner Update

Guest MidnightMama

Guest MidnightMama

I'm not sure how to update the former thread, so I thought I'd just post here that after discussing Runner again with the vet, she feels that SLO is the most likely cause. We have a treatment plan, mostly supplements to start. Does anyone else here have a dog with this condition?

Guest sgdahound
I'm not sure how to update the former thread, so I thought I'd just post here that after discussing Runner again with the vet, she feels that SLO is the most likely cause. We have a treatment plan, mostly supplements to start. Does anyone else here have a dog with this condition?

We just had one of our greyhounds diagnosed with SLO about 3 weeks ago. The dermatologist put him on Omega 3 Fatty Acids, vitamin E, Tetracycline and Niacinamide. He was also put on Cephalexin because he had a secondary infection in a couple of his nails.

He is doing pretty good. He has not lost a nail in about 4 weeks but we think there is one getting ready to come off. He has lost a total of about 8 nails now I believe.

Guest MidnightMama

We're doing the fatty acid supplements and Vitamin E, too. I'm looking for some boots to give her a bit more protection for her feet. Our vet wants to hold off on antibiotics as she does not see any infection going on right now.

Guest sgdahound
We're doing the fatty acid supplements and Vitamin E, too. I'm looking for some boots to give her a bit more protection for her feet. Our vet wants to hold off on antibiotics as she does not see any infection going on right now.

I guess the Tetracycline and Niacinamide work together to promote new nail growth and blood flow to the nails.

I have joined SLOdogs@yahoogroups.com which has been a great help with infomation on SLO.