Small Tear In Skin Above Hock

greytluck

I drove my DH to work and was gone no more then 30 minutes, I came home to blood everywhere. I quickly found who was bleeding but I'm not sure if it requires a vet trip. Wally has managed to tear a tiny hole in the thin skin that's just above his hock. ( sorry I'm not sure what it is called) It's goes right through but it's only around 2mm in diameter. It is still bleeding like crazy but I wrapped it loosely the best I could (it's a very hard spot to wrap).

It's so tiny I can hardly see it but I'm not sure if it will tear more as he moves or will it just heal itself.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Without seeing it, I'm guessing, but do you have anything that would seal it? Like EMT gel or Liquid Bandage?

I don't know what EMT gel is but I could certainly go get some liquid bandage. Who knew such a little thing could bleed so much.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Without seeing it, I'm guessing, but do you have anything that would seal it? Like EMT gel or Liquid Bandage?

I don't know what EMT gel is but I could certainly go get some liquid bandage. Who knew such a little thing could bleed so much.

Sometimes it's not the size but the location that causes it to bleed so much. If you do pick up some New Skin/Liquid Bandage, blow on it as you put it on, it burns a bit, but will seal so you shouldn't have to bandage it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sometimes it's not the size but the location that causes it to bleed so much. If you do pick up some New Skin/Liquid Bandage, blow on it as you put it on, it burns a bit, but will seal so you shouldn't have to bandage it.

Thanks I'll try that.

Guest Energy11

Liquid bandage, and wrapping sounds good. I use a special antibacterial ointment, Trypzyme-V on all of my dogs' wounds, as it starts healing instantly. EMT gel or whatever, liquid bandage, Neosporin, etc, wrapped well, but not too tightly, should work. Good Luck!

i usually spritz it w/ saline solution and bandage it lightly w/ gauze. make sure your hound does not eat the gauze wrap and change it tomorrow. it heals really quickly w/ the aid of saline solution. if he/she eats the gauze bandage(i've had that happen) the white bread soaked in water and oil, it will lubricate the intestines. i have invested stock in vet wrap since one of my dogs finds gauze very tasty.

the boy pupper,who is always ripping him self open just licks it clean and that's it. poor felix has so many holes(a crazy pup who runs into EVERYTHING) we think this red fawn will turn into a brindle soon!

who would think such a skinny dog could have that much blood? i guess that is why greyhounds are blood doners!

Guest KennelMom

Be careful with liquid bandage in any area the dog can lick. It's not meant to be ingested and I remember a greyhound that had serious mouth and tongue injuries from licking a small area their owner had put liquid bandage on. Unless it's approved for vet use, I wouldn't use it.

And if an injury has stopped bleeding on it's own and the scabbing process has started, I would leave it alone. Their bodies are designed to heal pretty well. Nature knows what it's doing most of the time. ;)

Edited by KennelMom

Just for the record, my vet approves of using both New Skin and Liquid bandage. I'm just careful that it dries before they attempt to lick, however after many years of using it, I've never had one of my dogs attempt to lick it when it's wet, not to say it doesn't happen

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11
Just for the record, my vet approves of using both New Skin and Liquid bandage. I'm just careful that it dries before they attempt to lick, however after many years of using it, I've never had one of my dogs attempt to lick it when it's wet, not to say it doesn't happen

Both New Skin and Liquid bandage are great products! Cool that your vet approves :-)) Makes sense!

Be careful with liquid bandage in any area the dog can lick. It's not meant to be ingested and I remember a greyhound that had serious mouth and tongue injuries from licking a small area their owner had put liquid bandage on. Unless it's approved for vet use, I wouldn't use it.

And if an injury has stopped bleeding on it's own and the scabbing process has started, I would leave it alone. Their bodies are designed to heal pretty well. Nature knows what it's doing most of the time. ;)

Oops... A little late, but I'll wrap it to make sure he can't get at it.

Thanks.

Edited to add, it's dry now so will it be fine left open?

Edited by greytluck

Guest Energy11

Oops... A little late, but I'll wrap it to make sure he can't get at it.

Thanks.

Edited to add, it's dry now so will it be fine left open?

Should be okay left open, but, if it were one of mine, knowing them, I'd have to leave it wrapped, cause they will lick, lick, lick, no matter what, especially Staggerlee.

The same thing just happened to Bella two weeks ago. Heard a yip outside and when she came in blood everywhere a deep cut just above her hock. I cleaned it, put some antibiotic cream on it and gave her a buffered aspirin as she was in pain. It is still healing, but never got infected, she was tender for several days but is back to normal now. Good luck I made sure to keep the wound clean and monitored it closely for infection. Bella licked it a lot early on, there was a lot of oozing and blood but after about a day or so it started to heal.

Linda, Keeva, Valor and Bella

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frankie did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. A teensy little booboo that bled like crazy. For him, I just cleaned it off with a little plain water and it stopped bleeding on its own; I put a dab of neosporin on it, I think. It has healed up fine!

Just to give an update,

The liquid bandage held the skin together well and today it's hardly noticeable. He hasn't licked it at all that I can tell so that's a good thing. I did talk to my vet today and she told me they would have just done the same thing, plus this saved me around $50 so I'm happy.