Vomiting .... Off To Our Vet

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea has woken us up the past 3 mornings with gagging like she's going to throw up, only she never vomited until this morning. Prior to today, she's been eating, drinking, pooping, peeing normally. However, this morning it wasn't just gagging. She threw up 3 times before 9 AM. It was yellowish bile looking vomitus ... a little frothy in appearance. I gave her 1/2 of a Prevacid chewable this morning after she threw up. We waited, then fed her a light breakfast about 10:30 AM. Well, that came up about an hour ago. We're leaving in the next few minutes for our vet appt.

She's also standing a bit akward and seems to be touchy/a bit tender in her abdominal area. She had a normal poop this morning and has been peeing fine today.

Please say some prayers for her. I'm fearing it may be the stuffy that she gutted a few days ago ... I'm hoping she didn't eat some of the stuffing that's now causing this problem.

I'll update when we get home from our vet.

Thanks everyone.

Shelly with Ady Bea in OK

Lots of prayers.

BTDT when it was nothing and when it wasn't. Hoping for the former for your sweet pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug Good thoughts coming to you for Ady Bea. My first thought was a possible blockage, OR, maybe she did happen to eat some part of the toy she shouldn't have and it's just irritating her tummy.

Whatever it is I hope she's feeling better soon!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest eaglflyt

Well, we're back. Ady threw up twice at our vets .... huge amounts! I don't know where it's coming from! Although, she's had no diarrhea. He did an abd. X-ray which looked OK as to gas patterns. Her temp was 103. They sent off blood work and urine and we'll know those results early tomorrow AM. He also started an IV catheter in her leg and sent me home with 2 bags of fluid to administer in set amounts if she continues to be unable to hold down fluids. He also gave her a 24 hr. nausea shot and an injection of antibiotics. We've also got Clavamox to start her on tomorrow and another nausea shot for tomorrow evening if she needs it.

I'm hoping this isn't that bad dog virus that's been popping up around the country. I'm hoping for a bacterial or routine type virus, or a just some routine gastroenteritis.

Our vet was impressed with the amount and force of the poor girl's vomiting. He offered to keep her there, but she would have stressed out so much if we weren't there and she was in a strange place that we chose to bring her home. Our vet knows I'm a nurse and can give the IV fluids and injections if needed. Of course, if she has any type of significant change for the worse we'll be calling our vet and be off to the emergency vet.

Thankfully, Ady hasn't tried to bother her IV catheter in her leg at all. She was a very good girl and only screamed with the nausea shot ... evidently that stuff burns. The other shots, blood draw and IV didn't bother her a bit.

We hope to know more in the morning with the lab results. Our vet also sent home special food for her when she starts getting solids again. For now, we're giving crushed ice.

I hate to see her like this. I hope this passes quickly.

Thank you to everyone for your prayers and good thoughts!

Shelly and Ady Bea in OK

Guest Energy11

You did the right thing! I know what you mean! I would never leave mine all night, either. I am a retired paramedic and vet assistant, and could do the same.

I hope it is just a GI thing, but there is a lot going around, but, you are on the total right track! Hugs and lots of love coming your way from us! Now you now why we went into healthcare ... turns out, for our puppers! :-)

Oh I am sorry to hear that Ady Bea is not feeling well. Thank goodness you are a nurse and can handle the IV at home. Please give us an update. Prayers and good thoughts from our couch potatoes. Sorry that I just saw this post now. Hoping it is just a bug that will pass soon!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest TeddysMom

My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope your girl get better quickly. It is scary when things come on so suddenly. Thankfully she can be home with you where she is not stressed out and can rest.

Oh my goodness - I'm glad you got her to the vet. The sudden problems are the scariest! I've got all my fingers crossed that the test results are both conclusive and not serious.

:grouphug

sending many prayers!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The shot that burned must have been Cerenia. We were warned it would hurt but it sure did help. Hope things are better in the morning.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest eaglflyt
The shot that burned must have been Cerenia. We were warned it would hurt but it sure did help. Hope things are better in the morning.

Yes, it was Cerenia. She screamed, bless her heart. However, she's held down ice chips and a little water since we've been home. The Cerenia must be working.

Guest eaglflyt

I'm so happy to report that Ady Bea has improved! Her temp is normal this afternoon and she hasn't thrown up since receiving the Cerenia yesterday. Our vet called this morning and strangely enough, all her lab work was OK except for the normal variations expected for greyhounds (bit higher Hgb and Hct) and lower T4. I was surprised, because her WBC count (which would indicate infection) was not elevated ... surprised all of us. Her urine was a bit concentrated due to some degree of dehydration. Her temp has returned to normal, but she still is quite tired and not her normal self. I've given her about 500 cc of IV fluids (Lactated Ringeers) early this morning. She's urinating and even had a small poop today. We've been feeding her small amounts of canned Hill's ID mixed with warm water to make an oatmeal consistency, which she eats with gusto. Our vet wants us to give her another dose of subq Cerenia this evening to last another 24 hrs.

I'm so happy she hasn't been having the copious amounts of vomiting today and that her temp is normal as of a couple of hours ago. We're going to continue to watch her closely for any changes.

Thanks to each of you SO MUCH! I was so scared and worried about Ady that I didn't sleep but about an hour last night. Your kind words, thoughts, prayers and support has made an enormous difference for us! I'll keep updating and hopefully this will pass (no pun intended). I hope each of you are having a wonderful and special day with your hounds.

Hugs to each of you from me and Ady Bea in OK

Guest Energy11

Sounds like a very good improvement! I love LR! I used to tell my patients on the ambulance, and in the ER, it was "Gatorade for their veins!" Hope all continues going well! Have a relaxing night, and Sunday!

Guest eaglflyt

Ady is doing much better! Fever is gone for several hours now, she's holding down her food, drinking well and I'm going to take her IV catheter out in the next little bit. She's holding down her Clavamox and acting so much more like her normal self. We are very relieved!

It's especially strange that she ran a fever but had a normal white blood cell count. Go figure. She also has never had diarrhea. Just the explosive vomiting and fever. We may never know what this actually was, but I'm glad she appears to be getting over it!

I'm also very thankful for pet health insurance! We will get reimbursed most of our $429+ vet bill from Friday afternoon. It was well worth it, but so much easier with insurance to help out. With the insurance, I know we don't have to make decisions based on our budget. A big relief!

She'll have her shaved leg at the next Petco meet and greet event ... if she continues to be healthy. She's also due for her vaccinations as of the 10th, but we can't vaccinate when she's under the weather.

Thank you again to everyone for your prayers, good wishes and support. Ady Bea thanks you, too!!!

We wish you a wonderful Sunday ... Shelly & Ady Bea in OK

Guest eaglflyt

Just a quick update and comment about how much we love our Ady Bea and how pleased we are with our pet insurance!

Ady Bea is back to her normal self! We love her so much and are so very thankful, although we still have no idea what the actual cause of her fever and explosive vomiting may have been.

Also, our pet insurance has already processed our claim and the reimbursement will be in our bank by this Friday. Ady Bea was so sick at the vet just last Friday! Reimbursement within a single week! I can highly recommend Embrace Pet Insurance. I'm not related to this company in any way, just a very pleased customer. Their customizable policies have been perfect for us and our girl, Ady Bea. :)

edited to correct spelling

Edited by eaglflyt