Other Forms Of Panacur?

Guest mandm

Does anyone have experience dosing either the liquid or gel forms of Panacur? My picky hound will not eat anything that contains any form of medication. It's generally fine because I have no problem shoving meds down his throat. But Panacur powder is really hard to administer this way. I tried putting it in gel caps and pilling him, but the volume of powder was way too much to make this practical. I mixed the powder with liquid, but it required a lot of liquid to make it thin enough to squirt down his throat. Less liquid, and the mixture was too thick & pasty to slide down easily. I'm leaning toward the liquid form of Panacur, the suspension, thinking it would be easy enough to shoot it down his throat. I think the gel form would be too thick. Any thoughts or experience?

We always use the liquid. I think it's really nasty because they always fight so we usually do it as a team. One holds the head back with mouth open and the other slowly squirts it way down the throat. Sometimes we have to back them into a corner to get the job done. I'm soooo glad it only has to be done three days at a time!

Guest KennelMom

I always use the liquid. Open, squirt, hold closed, done and on to the next. A vet gave me granules years ago and I ended up calling back to get something else b/c ain't no way, no how that dog was having anything to do with those granules.

Guest mcsheltie
Does anyone have experience dosing either the liquid or gel forms of Panacur? My picky hound will not eat anything that contains any form of medication. It's generally fine because I have no problem shoving meds down his throat. But Panacur powder is really hard to administer this way. I tried putting it in gel caps and pilling him, but the volume of powder was way too much to make this practical. I mixed the powder with liquid, but it required a lot of liquid to make it thin enough to squirt down his throat. Less liquid, and the mixture was too thick & pasty to slide down easily. I'm leaning toward the liquid form of Panacur, the suspension, thinking it would be easy enough to shoot it down his throat. I think the gel form would be too thick. Any thoughts or experience?

Safeguard goat wormer. You can get it online or at Tractor Supply Co.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/liv...-100-ml-2226898

Dose is 1ml per 5lb body weight.

Guest mcsheltie

Opps... I hit send before I was done! I doubt this is any better tasting than Panacur.

I back them into a corner, stand over the top of them (like riding a horse) tip their head up and shoot it in, in two doses. You can use your knees to control their bodies. Doesn't matter if they sit down. I weigh 95 lbs and never had one I couldn't do by myself. Standing next to them I get pushed all over the place.

I take a cheese slice, put the Panacur in the center, fold the cheese slice closed (and give it a squeeze on the edges to seal it), and shove that down the dog's throat.

It winds up being a fairly compact item, and it sorta slides down well. (And it's cheese, which my guys would kill for.) Anyway, it's just one "gulp," and may be easier than trying to deal with a liquid form.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)