Superioritaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Hi all -

I was out of the country over the weekend and my foster family looked after Italy. They were also looking after a couple of other fosters in addition to their 2 hounds. It was great for her to get out and play with the other dogs, but she came home with a little sore on her back left ankle. She keeps chewing on it and licking it. It doesn't appear to be bleeding. I put some neosporin on it and wrapped but I soon as I got up, she chewed it off in about 2 seconds. Any other ideas to keep her from chewing on it so it can heal? She doesn't limp or anything and is inside 90% of the day but I want it to heal without an infection.

Thanks,

Adam

Guest Energy11

I'd put a bootie over it, or if you don't have booties, one or two toddler socks, taped on over your antibiotic dressing. Just be sure not to wrap too tightly. Clean daily with warm water, re-apply the ointment, and re-wrap. Should be fine. Signs of infection include, redness, swelling, and oozing. Good Luck ... Sorry to hear this happened!

If it doesn't appear to be bleeding or getting worse, I would just let her lick it. If she does begin to lick it raw and it's getting worse I would muzzle her with a poop guard or some duct tape over the end of the muzzle. I've found that the more things I do to try to prevent licking seem to result in the dog trying even harder to get at the wound.