Endless Hookworms!

Guest schell86

Guest schell86

When we adopted Mesa at the beginning of April we were given his final dose of Panacur and told he had worms. Took the poop sample in a few weeks later, came back positive again, this time our vet gave us two syringes of a goopy medicine that I had to shoot down his throat (he was not impressed). Again a poop sample was given, we didn't hear anything from the vet life got real busy and we took no word as good word (I know I know I should have called, but hindsight is 20/20). We found out a month and a half later when we went in for a shot that he STILL had hookworms and he was given a pill to take. After the pill there was a definite increase in both energy and food interest. He is actually interested in treats and willing to work for them (finally sitting on command!!). We thought for sure we had gotten rid of them! Nope! This time the vet gave him panacur and a tablet. She recommended walking him in a different location (we live in an apt) and wiping his butt in case he is reinfecting himself. What else can I do?? I feel so bad that he still has them, he has been with us for almost 6 mo now. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of them? We've been vacuuming and cleaning bedding due to fleas (my poor baby!). The vet says the hookworms are usually easy to get rid of- so why won't they die!! ahhh, I'm so frustrated! Any advice?? :unsure

Guest scfilby

Hook worm eggs are very hard to get rid of. They can survive in the soil for many months. It is possible that you guy is getting reinfected just from walks. Heartguard plus treats and protects against hook infection as well as heartworm. I would switch him to that.

Guest Energy11

Heartguard Plus, Iverheart Plus, or Iverheart MAX (treats all the worms) ... At least, once a month, you are zapping the worms, in addition to what the vet is giving you.

Yes, try walking in a different area, cleaning his feet, butt ... good luck! This really stinks for you and he!

Guest longdogs

Hookworms are difficult to get rid of. If you live in a hookworm area, all you have to do is walk your dog in a public place to get re-infected. The drugs only kill adult worms, so larval worms can survive the treatment. Use a monthly combination heartworm+all-wormer pill to keep things under control. These are quite low doses so every three months or so use something stronger, like Drontal, to get any resistant worms.

interceptor, used for heartworm, also kills heart worms and a variety of others as well. i keep my dogs on interceptor all year, my vet believes in it as a general worm preventive a and it does an excellent job.

prior to the days of long term heartworm meds i struggled w/ hookworm. what a joke, very frustrating trying to keep my dogs worm free. give one of the heart worm meds a try, but remember to have your pup checked for heartworm first.

Interceptor and never a problem! Get him on Interceptor once a month and you probably won't have to worry about it again. I know some of my dogs could not have helped but be exposed to the eggs at some of the places they have been but Interceptor has always protected them.