Toe Amputation?

Guest 4greys4me

Guest 4greys4me

One of my greys broke her toe 6 weeks ago. It has not healed and is now diagnosed as a non-union fracture. The doctor has recommended surgery to repair the fracture, which will then require an 8 week recovery. He stated that she would need to be totally bedridden for 8 weeks.

It has now been suggested to me that we should just amputate the toe. This recovery would be approximately 2 weeks.

I need to make a decision and would appreciate some help. Please respond with your thoughts.

Thank you!!!

Well, when Romi had his toe amputated, he was better coming out of the vets, and after a week was pretty much back to himself. He hasn't missed that toe at all, and neither have I.

This was on a rear foot, inner-most toe.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I've known several Greyhounds that had toe amputations, whether it was injury, recurrent corns...one had an encapsulated cyst that kept growing back and another had some kind of fungal disease that was slowly eating away at the bone, and I think one just had a localized infection that kept coming back and no one could figure out the reason for over a year so they finally decided to just amp the toe.

Anyway, all recovered quickly and completely and live their lives without a toe with no problems or lameness at all. :) Sometimes it's the kindest thing.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest Scouts_mom

My Scout had 2 toes amputated. One on each hind foot. One was for a broken toe and one was for a mass of corns that would not go away. She was definately much happier afterwards.

Guest paulamariez

We had to have one of our first greyhound Chief's toes removed (back leg). It was the best thing we could have done for the poor guy. He had an infection in his that wouldn't go away. His only really tough day was the day we brought him home from the vet after the surgery. After that he got better every day. He was absolutely fine after that and his quality of life improved tremendously after it was all healed up!! I wouldn't hesitate to do it, if the vet thinks it's necessary. Chief had no problems after having it down.

My Scout had an amputated inside toe on a rear foot when he came to me. I don't know why the toe was amputated. Most of the time it was no problem. However, he did have a mysterious recurrent limp for years on that leg, and one theory was that the additional stress on the other toes might have been a minor contributor. Certainly not a reason not to amputate the toe in your dog's case, but just something to think about.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My Kiowa had one rear outside toe amputated after a serious dislocation. He was on potty breaks only for 2 wks and leash walks for 4 wks after that. From then on a person wouldn't even know that he was missing a toe unless they looked closely. I was probably conservative on his recovery time because he was ready to play before the bandages were even off.

My Chico developed a discoloration on a nail and the area turned darker. I brought him to the vet and he put him on anti fungal medication and he healed within the week. He also gave me a topical med which Chico would not let me use. I thought the vet was kind of expensive, but when I consider the other options, and the good diagnosis, it was money well spent. :colgate

I've had 2 that had to have toe amputation, they didn't even notice the toe gone, only the bulky bandage. I go for the toe amputation, its not as evasive as leg amputation & the recovery is quicker.

One of the baddest racers we've ever had had a toe removed... 3 months after having said toe removed... He did this

He sure lived up to his name in that race!

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Which toe is it? A non-weight bearing toe is less important than a weight-bearing one, so you might consider that. Also, what if you do amputate the toe and later he develops a problem with another toe on that foot that requires amputation, or another limb? On the other hand, if you repair the fracture, is there an increased chance for arthritis in that toe down the road?

I don't know much about toe fractures in particular, just trying to think of additional things to weigh/ask your vet about before you make a decision.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest cassie234

i have only had bertie for nearly 2 months....so i dont know what he was like coming out of his operation, but he fractured his front left outer toe and had to have it amputated......and after a while he carried on racing!!!!!

it doesnt hurt him now....and it looks sooooo cute :-)

Guest 4greys4me

It is a middle toe on a front foot. She is in a lot of pain with it right now and whenever she bumps it, she cries. I think taking that source of pain away might be the kindest thing for her. Also, she is 9 years old now so the healing time for the fracture to heal could be quite long.