Osteo In Older Greys

Guest GreyDogsRule

Guest GreyDogsRule

We have a wonderful old fellow (ten years) that found his way back into foster about a year ago. He has been with us since January. About a week ago he started limping. The vet thinks he just hurt his knee especially because we think he may have fallen down the stairs, but of course osteo can’t be ruled out at this point. Our vet wants to see how he does over the next week before x-rays. He is in pain even after Deramax and Tramodil and can’t make it through the night without whimpering and crying. This is making me think it is cancer.

I seem to recall reading on the forum that osteo can move very quickly in Greys especially older ones. I know limping can be the first sign of osteo. If it is osteo, could he possible only have a few weeks or less before we would need to send him on his way over the rainbow bridge? I don’t want this wonderful guy to be in pain. I am also thinking that if it is cancer, we should determine it quickly and get this fellow on palliative meds so he can be comfortable.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've heard osteo is more aggressive in 5-7 year olds than older dogs. My 3 osteo dogs have been 10.5, 8, and 6.5 years old.

If he's still in pain, he needs his meds changed. Tramadol is usually started at a low dose. Ask the Vet about increasing it. If Deramax and max. Tramadol don't provide relief, try adding Neurotin. That much pain, I would move the xrays up too.

I don't know why your vet would wait to do x-rays. I'd get them done at once. Unless you know what the problem is, you can't manage it.

First day of a minor limp, worth treating with meds and waiting 2-3 days. Major limp that causes dog to continue crying or limp that goes on more than those 2-3 days, x-rays are needed pronto.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Leeanna's lesion was discovered by accident while looking at something else-no pain yet. She was 11. It did not change for 5 months. Once it started to cause pain we let it go for about 4 months before it became too much with meds.

Edited by packmom

The pain from osteo is difficult to control and if the leg is not amputated, there is a risk of the leg breaking.

If I was in this position, I would want to know what I was dealing with and be able to make the best possible decisions going forward.

Just as a note, if you are going to have the xrays, they should be able to do it without the anesthesia. If they have anesthesia, I personally feel that the leg might get manipulated more than necessary to make the diagnosis and as a result, be more painful later.

Guest Energy11

I discovered Max'a Osteo when it was first starting. He was with us about 2.5 months longer. He was 12.5. Osteo moves very fast.

I would at least get the x-rays done to see what is what. Good Luck!

Guest Lovemyhound

I second the chorus of advice so far.. get those xrays and increase that pain med. I recently lost my boy, I can completely sympathize with what you are experiencing. If that precious baby is unable to sleep thru the night without whimpering - it deserves further investigation.

Prayers and love coming your way. :grouphug

Guest Energy11
Thanks for all of the greyt information and kind thoughts. I am scheduling an appointment for x-rays today.

Good Luck, good thoughts, many prayers, and, please keep us posted.

I'm glad you're getting x-rays. Hope they bring good news.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Guest IrskasMom
I don't know why your vet would wait to do x-rays. I'd get them done at once. Unless you know what the problem is, you can't manage it.

First day of a minor limp, worth treating with meds and waiting 2-3 days. Major limp that causes dog to continue crying or limp that goes on more than those 2-3 days, x-rays are needed pronto.

Sending prayers.

Pronto = NOW :weep:weep:weep

The pain from osteo is difficult to control and if the leg is not amputated, there is a risk of the leg breaking.

If I was in this position, I would want to know what I was dealing with and be able to make the best possible decisions going forward.

Just as a note, if you are going to have the xrays, they should be able to do it without the anesthesia. If they have anesthesia, I personally feel that the leg might get manipulated more than necessary to make the diagnosis and as a result, be more painful later.

Would 50 mg Deramaxx for a week help? Tanner has a limp, took him to vet end of July. Vet thought muscle. Gave Deramaxx. Good as new. Limp started again yesterday. Started Deramaxx again....

If oesto pain is hard to manage then I would think a weeks worth of Deramaxx wouldnt have lasted over a month, right??

Grasping at straws here...

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest TBSFlame

Sending prayers.

If it is osteo they can increase the pain meds and change them around until they find something that works. Osteo can move very fast. Hugs to all of you.

Guest EmbersDad
I've heard osteo is more aggressive in 5-7 year olds than older dogs. My 3 osteo dogs have been 10.5, 8, and 6.5 years old.

If he's still in pain, he needs his meds changed. Tramadol is usually started at a low dose. Ask the Vet about increasing it. If Deramax and max. Tramadol don't provide relief, try adding Neurotin. That much pain, I would move the xrays up too.

my vet said the same thing. it is typically more aggressive in older dogs and he was surprised and saddened when ember's metasticised into her lungs before the 5th chemo session :-( ember was 11, and a very healthy hound all her life until this.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

my vet said the same thing. it is typically more aggressive in older dogs and he was surprised and saddened when ember's metasticised into her lungs before the 5th chemo session :-( ember was 11, and a very healthy hound all her life until this.

Tom, did you mean to say "more aggressive in older dogs"?

My three osteo dogs have been in the 9 1/2 to 10 yr. old range, and only survived 6 weeks from the first limp.

Very aggressive cancer. :cry1:( Adequate combo of pain med + NSAID made them pretty comfortable until the end. Good pain management is critical.

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest EmbersDad

Tom, did you mean to say "more aggressive in older dogs"?

no, i meant younger..was thinking older...d'ogh!

Sending good thoughts :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest SueG201

I lost my first greyhound to osteo at age 5, she only survived 3 wks past diagnosis, it was in her shoulder and very painful. My second grey had osteo of the back leg, he was 9

but his leg shattered during the x-ray and I had to put him down. I hate cancer!! Best of luck to you

Guest TaraCoachCougar

After Coach's x-rays that indicated her limp was probably due to osteo, she had five wonderful limp-free weeks on Deramaxx and tramadol. Doing a twirly, she yelped out and at first wouldn't use the leg and then really limped. Off to the vets and that x-ray showed it had progressed so much. One great day to follow and then three or so quickly declining days until she couldn't use the leg at all. I suspect some type of nerve damage was involved too. That's when I knew she was ready.

So to answer your question, it can progress too damn quickly!

Good luck! Praying it's something else...

Edited to add: I usually watch my language on the board, but this disease just gets me too riled up. It is nasty.

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

Guest GreyDogsRule

Thanks again for all the posts. It's seemingly a sad reality that those of us with Greys will deal with cancer sooner or later. A horrible price to pay, but one I'm willing to accept in order to have these wonderful hounds as a large part of my life. I bet most would agree. I have lost one hound to cancer thus far, but happily report that my old fellow George’s x-rays were negative for cancer.

I'm not sure why I started this post the way I did. I guess it makes me sad that so many people on this forum have dealt with cancer in their sweet Greys. Generally not an emotional person, I am an incredible softy when it comes to hounds. Sharing your experiences is both much appreciated and slightly upsetting. We share the joys and pains of the one thing we all dearly love, our wonderful hounds. I guess that is one reason why this forum is so Greyt.

So back to George. Our vet is not sure why George is experiencing so much pain. George clearly has a very sore sprained knee, but no ligament involvement. Our vet has ordered a CBC and put George on different meds to make him more comfortable. Tylenol 3 which is a bit unusual, but very safe in the right dosage should make George comfortable. He starts on Prednisone after 24 hours of no Deramaxx. He will also take Prilosec as a precaution. IT was explained to us that there is a small risk of GI related issues when moving from Deramaxx to prednisone. After explaining this, I felt it was a reasonable risk given the fact that we need to get this poor boy out of pain. I hope we did the right thing.

Guest GreyDogsRule
Thanks again for all the posts. It's seemingly a sad reality that those of us with Greys will deal with cancer sooner or later. A horrible price to pay, but one I'm willing to accept in order to have these wonderful hounds as a large part of my life. I bet most would agree. I have lost one hound to cancer thus far, but happily report that my old fellow George’s x-rays were negative for cancer.

I'm not sure why I started this post the way I did. I guess it makes me sad that so many people on this forum have dealt with cancer in their sweet Greys. Generally not an emotional person, I am an incredible softy when it comes to hounds. Sharing your experiences is both much appreciated and slightly upsetting. We share the joys and pains of the one thing we all dearly love, our wonderful hounds. I guess that is one reason why this forum is so Greyt.

So back to George. Our vet is not sure why George is experiencing so much pain. George clearly has a very sore sprained knee, but no ligament involvement. Our vet has ordered a CBC and put George on different meds to make him more comfortable. Tylenol 3 which is a bit unusual, but very safe in the right dosage should make George comfortable. He starts on Prednisone after 24 hours of no Deramaxx. He will also take Prilosec as a precaution. IT was explained to us that there is a small risk of GI related issues when moving from Deramaxx to prednisone. After explaining this, I felt it was a reasonable risk given the fact that we need to get this poor boy out of pain. I hope we did the right thing.

Another quick update on George. 24 hours after George started on Prednisone, and the improvement is incredible. He slept through the night last night. The first good night for him in five days or me for that matter. :) We still don't know why he was in so much pain. hopefully, we will learn something from the CBC.