Water Consumption Question

Guest SkinnyPete

Guest SkinnyPete

Just curious - I've been feeding beef/rice/pumpkin for the last couple days in an attempt to get diarrhea under control. He was hookworm positive, on panacur, dropped a little weight and was lethargic. The new diet has worked wonderfully, no diarrhea 2 days in a row. He looks much happier...seems like he has more energy. But, he's not drinking much water at all. Maybe one gulp twice a day if I lead him to it. But, he's getting 3 meals a day with at least 1 cup of water in the mixture. So, I think he's getting a lot of water. He's peeing regularly. I'm just assuming he's getting his water with his food. Should I not be concerned if he's peeing normally even if he's not drinking much? And I guess, the second part of the question is - when should I be concerned? If his urination frequency changes?

You gave your own answer: He's getting enough water in his food. :) If he were to stop peeing regularly, act lethargic, all pees very dark and smelly ... then you would be concerned.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Yep, you did answer your own question :-))

I mix water in all of my greys' food, and for the most part, they really dont' drink much. Curfew does, because he is on Phenobarb, and Goldie is, because she has kidney issues.

Good Luck, glad the Big D is going away!

Guest paulamariez

When the hounds aren't getting enough fluid, they get really lethargic, tired, mopey. If it gets really bad, they get dizzy and disoriented. I know from experience and having them get fluids at the vet. If your hound is acting fine, his normal self, he's definitely getting enough fluid. I too, would add a little bit more water to his chow, if he's drinking that without any problems. My Bueller is not a big drinker. I've found if I bring the bowl over to him once in a while he'll take a few slurps, guess he's too lazy to get up. Also, I've found in the warm weather, my guys LOVE having ice cubes added to their water bowl a few times a day. My three guys drinking has definitely increased since adding the cubes to the water. Hope your pupper is feeling better!

when in doubt about whether a dog is getting enough water you can do a test. Pull up some loose skin (like on the scruff of the neck). If the skin stays up and goes back down slowly, the dog is dehydrated. If the skin goes back to normal right away, you have nothing to worry about.

For dogs that are eating well but seem to be balking at water, the easiest trick out there is to toss a handful of kibble into the water bowl. The dog will drink the water while he/she is trying to get to the kibble.

when in doubt about whether a dog is getting enough water you can do a test. Pull up some loose skin (like on the scruff of the neck). If the skin stays up and goes back down slowly, the dog is dehydrated. If the skin goes back to normal right away, you have nothing to worry about.

For dogs that are eating well but seem to be balking at water, the easiest trick out there is to toss a handful of kibble into the water bowl. The dog will drink the water while he/she is trying to get to the kibble.

Putting ice cubes in the water can stop diarrhea rather quickly and make them feel better during hot weather

Guest RocketDog

I feed raw and my dogs get a lot of moisture from their food - this means they drink a lot less water than a kibble-fed dog. I would assume your boy is getting enough moisture from the water you're adding to his meals and doesn't need to drink a ton from his bowl. As long as he's not acting dehydrated and is peeing normally I wouldn't worry,