Fleas On Frontline Plus

Guest wjamg

I have owned dogs for over 20 years and have never dealt with fleas. I think my girl has fleas now. She is biting at her legs/paws and I see some black flecks in her fur. I looked for fleas and can't seem to find anything. How do I go about treating this? She had her frontline two weeks ago, I really don't want to use any type of chemicals. She had surgery at the end of July and was on antibiotics for three weeks, I wondered if that's why she may have fleas while on her frontline plus.

Guest eaglflyt

This seems to be a regional issue. In our area it's Advantage that's now ineffective so more are now using Frontline Plus. Our vet even stopped carrying Advantage because he had so many complaints. The fleas seem to be able to develop tolerance or resistance to products used heavily and over a period of time.

Guest TBSFlame

Same here. I had to change to Advantage last year and now it is not working well. I flea comb my 5 down several times a day and still finding a flea or two. It's a pain.

One thing to consider is the environment. Treating the dog won't be even 95% effective if the house, yard, and places you visit are harboring a large flea population. May want to treat those areas with Adams, Knockout, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

When I worked for the vet in Florida, A LOT of people were coming in, saying Frontline Plus no longer handled their flea problems. We usually recommended they switch to Advantage, and to try it for a while.

I have no fleas or ticks, and I live in a heavily wooded area. I use only Adams Flea and Tick Mist, about every 8-10 days.

Fleas bite, literally! Good Luck with this! Once you get your first frost, hopefully, the little buggers will be long gone!

I feel your pain. I've had the same issue, three weeks into their most recent Frontline Plus application. I consulted GTers and bought some Frontline spray. I re-applied the Frontline Plus but only about 4 days before the month was up, so it was close to the time it was going to be reapplied anyway. I don't like those toxic chemicals :(

I also make sure to clean and vacuum EVERY day now. Vacuuming daily can get rid of up 95% of adult fleas, and helps to get rid of eggs too.

Carpets, couch, beds, blankies, heck I even vaccum the hounds :lol

Remember that video of Gustopher P. Jones getting vacuumed? That's what I'm doing now :rofl

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

I don't use Advantix, but I did receive this email recently. I know it was posted on another thread, but I thought I'd share again. I guess, being it is a relatively new product, time will tell, and it may depend on the dog, too.

Copy of email below:

We have received several inquiries lately about what are considered safe products for flea and tick control. In light of an e-mail from one of our adopters (below) about a very bad experience, we want to share this information.

Over the years, GPA has recommended only "tried and true" products for flea and tick control, and for heartworm prevention. Greyhounds, and Sighthounds in general, are much more sensitive than other breeds to all kinds of medications and products, especially to the topical kinds. These absorb right into the Greyhound's system rather than first going through a layer of fur and body fat typical of other breeds.

For flea and tick control we recommend Frontline Plus, used for fleas and ticks, and Advantage, used to control fleas only.

Both are considered safe for our Greys.

We do not recommend Advantix (widely advertised on TV with that cute little puppy) as it contains an ingredient not considered safe for Sighthounds...and it is fatal if used on cats.

There are also two new flea products out that are in pill form. We do not recommend them for the Greyhounds at this time...they are just too new to be sure that they are safe for Sighthounds.

Finally, we stress to never use a product on the Greys made by the commercial pet products company, such as Hartz and Sergeant's.

One of our adopters used a product by Sergeant's called

Sentrypro XFC Flea & Tick Treatment.

She asked that we share her terrible experience so that no other Greyhound endures what her Greys suffered:

I used the SentryproXFC on the Greys last night at 11:00pm by 1:30am both were very agitated, had uncontrollable muscle contractions in their legs, inflammation at the application site, followed shortly by vomiting and even more uncontrolled muscle contractions. I washed off the stuff about 2:00 when I realized what was happening but both Greys kept shaking their bodies like they were wet They tried constantly to scratch and reach their backs and were clearly uncomfortable. They finally fell asleep about 5:00am and we went to the vet at 8:00 when they got into the office.

Just got back from the vet who says this is common with this product. They had to be bathed in a special soap that breaks down the oil and residue from Sentrypro XFC. Our vet's practice has had 2 dogs die from the product in the past two years. Petco, Petsmart both are still carrying the product. I just found a site online that has a number of people that had very similar problems and reactions with the treatment.

When I called Sargeant's to file a complaint the "consumer affairs rep" insisted that the product was safe and effective and there must be another reason for the reaction.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^

For Heartworm prevention those "tried and true" products GPA recommends are Heartgard Plus, Interceptor, and Sentinel.

GPA's recommendations are based on years of experience.

We always will take the more conservative approach with new products, particularly when there are "tried and true" products readily available that are safe and effective.

We encourage you to contact us at any time should you have any questions about these products.

I too have heard this, and read it, since my job takes to the EPA web-site and receive e-mails from them, i have been monitoring this issue for well over a year, All compalints regarding topical flea and tick control, have been placed with them regarding over the counter topical flea and tick control, and in question consumers not applying the them properly, or using the incorrect doseages on animals, none so far for those received from vets, I too questioned my vet on Advantix, Advantage, Frontline, and questioned if consumers when having issues with these products and vet not reporting them? he did not recommend oral control meds, for any pets

Guest Energy11
I too have heard this, and read it, since my job takes to the EPA web-site and receive e-mails from them, i have been monitoring this issue for well over a year, All compalints regarding topical flea and tick control, have been placed with them regarding over the counter topical flea and tick control, and in question consumers not applying the them properly, or using the incorrect doseages on animals, none so far for those received from vets, I too questioned my vet on Advantix, Advantage, Frontline, and questioned if consumers when having issues with these products and vet not reporting them? he did not recommend oral control meds, for any pets

When the Advantix rep came to my vet's office/job, one day, to give a seminar, I asked her about Advantix and greyhounds. She proceeded to tell me something I did NOT want to hear ... "Well, we use greyhounds to test our products!" I left the seminar and went back to the kennel, as to not blow up or get myself fired!

Guest scfilby

The problem is that pests become immune to treatment over time, just like viruses.. When we were in SC Frontline was inneffective, so we switched to K9 Advantix. Here in Bama, frontline plus does the trick.. same dogs, different fleas..

I think one would be surprised at how many cats and dogs are used around this country for experiments by, medical, cosmetic comp, pesticide corps, drug comp. in the more creul ways than I will type here

A local vet has advised asking the neighbors which flea preventative they're using currently and how successful it is for them. He says that if your present preventative is failing because fleas in your area have developed a tolerance, then find out what's working for others in the area.

And, of course, stick to greyhound-safe products regardless of what a neighbor might use.

This is the recommendation I give customers at work (I'm a dog groomer). It keeps me from having to recommend one product or another that might then not work well, and it gives my customers a chance to find something that will be successful.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)