Hookworms - Paracur And Interceptor?

Guest SkinnyPete

Guest SkinnyPete

We took my new grey to the Vet on Tuesday and they sent out his stools since he's had diarrhea for a month (according to his foster. We've only had him for a week). We gave him his monthly does of inteceptor on Wednesday and got the call that he was hookworm positive on Thursday. My wife picked up paracur that day. So, I called the vet to make sure it was okay to give him inteceptor and paracur within 24 hours of each other and he did say it was fine, so we went ahead and gave him his first paracur dose Thursday night.

This morning, when he woke up he was coughing, which he hasn't done before. Only lasted about 3-4 minutes from when he woke up. His walk went fine, his poop was much firmer than it has been, he ate fine but about 15 minutes after eating he started to dry heave. It didn't look like he actually vomited but he was whining and dry heaving. Could this just be him being sick from hookworm? Want to make sure we didn't give him too many meds too quickly.

I had to get to work for a meeting, but I'm running back home in about 2 hours to check on him.

Both meds are for different things, it is very unlikley you over dosed him on meds, although inteceptor help prevent infestation, paracur rids the body hook worms like tape worm are nasty things, and vomiting can occure with infestation too, be calm and keep us posted and Congrads on your new boy!

Guest RocketDog

I've used panacur on my dogs in the past and it did give them rumbly tummies and loose stools after the second and third doses. We also use Interceptor tabs but I don't think we ever used the meds that close together. I'd keep an eye on him and call the vet if he's still acting really barfy later...

Guest ThunderPaws

I recently ordered Panacur from KVvet, just incase because my new boy was fresh off the track and I didn't have time to get him to the vet right away. Seemed to work well, he just had a fecal and no wormies! Didn't give him diarrhea either. :)

Hope your boy is ok!

Hi There,

My girl was just diagnosed with hooks as well after battling loose stool for 4 months. She had 3 treatments of Panacur when we got her 4 months ago and they still managed to survive. The vet advised that panacur is not overly effective on the hooks and treated with Drontal Plus (which claims to kill all stages of hook) although we are still going to do multiple treatments to be safe. It has been very effective and the big "D" stopped within 2 days of the first treatment. Good luck!