Question About Petfirst Insurance

Guest trevdog

Guest trevdog

I purchased Petfirst insurance for my 2 about 3 months ago. Ossie is going in for some xrays tomorrow, he's walking kind of funky on one of his back legs, almost like his hip is bothering him. All the symtoms I have found seem to point to possible LS. He's already been to the vets once and he couldn't find anything and put him on Etogesic which hasn't helped. He runs and plays normally, just seems to kind of bend funny at his right hip often and sometimes drags his foot. I've also noticed he shakes a little in the hind end once and awhile, so I'm just being cautious with getting him checked out.

Anyhow reading the policy, it says it doesn't cover "Diagnosis, medical management, or surgical correction of interverterbal disc(s) regardless of the

procuring cause (unless otherwise agreed with “you”) during the first six (6) months of the “policy Period"

I'm wondering if it does turn out to be LS is it considered an inverterbral disc issue? I would think it is but not sure.

Guest UESBrindle

I'm not exactly sure what "LS" is, but we have PetFirst, and we took William to the vet a month ago in July for a limp, when we got him in February --so at 5 months of having the policy- they covered it. If it is happening after you started the insurance, I don't know why they wouldn't cover it. Although I do think for some breeds they don't cover things like hip dysplasia since it's so prevalent in the breed...

If I were you and worried, I would bring in the form, have the vet sign and stamp it and mail it in. It's worth a shot to see. I would be leery about calling them ahead of time incase it raises and "flags"

The only situation that wouldn't be good for is if you're not going to treat him for something unless the insurance would cover it, in which case, you've already paid the vet and may not get reimbursed.

good luck and I hope you can figure out what's ailing Ozzie.

Guest zoolaine

I have PetFirst, I am thinking that it would be excluded. Sunny was diagnosed with PLE about a month after I signed him up for PetFirst and they considered it pre-exiting. I guess the best you can do is just submit the bills and see if they will pay for it. Maybe if the vet puts the diagnosis as something generic and not LS, then they should pay for it.

Guest trevdog

Lumbersacral Stenosis or narrowing of the spinal column. I don't think it's pre existing, this just started recently. But since it has to do with the spine, I wasn't sure. Hoping it's not that but the meds didn't help. And no lumps or bumps that he could find by manipulating anything. He's a little stiff after getting up and kind of shuffles his foot once and a while on walks and walks a little odd soemtimes both otherwise he acts normal, still running around and playing normally.