Anubis Has A Bad Injury From An Extension Leash:need Advice :(

Guest carolxi

Guest carolxi

Poor Anubis! Tuesday evening we were out and some guy had his largish small dog on one of those extension leashes. Of course it was not locked and the dog ran over to Anubis. Anubis got caught up and tangled in the cord from the extension leash. He paniked and tried to run away and the other dog ran the other way. Anubis stated screaming because of the cord wrapped around him. I yelled for the owner to let go of the leash. I ran and untangled Anubis and got him to limp home. I phoned the vet and was to go yesterday afternoon at 5pm.

After dinner Tuesday, in the evening I went to go upstairs to bed. Anubis tried to come up, but when I tried to help him up the stairs, he screamed. I slept downstairs with him. He on his bed and me on the couch. I stayed home with him on Wednesday and he didn't move from his bed the whole day. I talked to his vet at great length and she gave me 4 home-visit vets to try, because it didn't look like I was going to be able to move him. I gave him Tramadol (50 mg) in the morning and miraculously, he got up at 4pm! I quickly called the vet and quickly got him into my neighbour's van and we went to the vet. It took 3 of them to administer to him. It turns out that he has a horrible rope burn and cut at his groin under his right leg. They gave him a shot of anti biotic and anti-inflamatory and put anti-biotic on the cut. My God, did he scream. They told me he was lucky because the rope just missed him femoral artery. They said it was also good that he was fixed - it would have been more excruciating if he still had his scrotum. I'm staying home the rest of the week with him and he goes back to the vet on Saturday. No exercise till then.

They wanted to put an Elizabethan collar on him and I refused, because they are not recommended for greys. He is not supposed to lick his cut. I am using his racing muzzle with the poop guard in it. This works, but he hates it. They didn't cover the cut because they said it will heal better with the air at it (although with his legs closed, this isn't really happening).

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can use or do to keep Anubis from licking his cut?

Any advice much appreciated.

Carol

Guest RocketDog

Oww! Your poor boy!

I've never dealt with burns from flexi-leads, but I have dealt with line-burn when my dogs get tangled up in the drag line during LGRA sprints. I usually clean the area, spray it with my trusty little bottle of lavender/tea tree oil (5 drops of essential oil to one cup of distilled water) then pat dry and wipe a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment over the area. It always looks worse the second and third day afterwards, but luckily it heals quickly as long as they don't lick and worry at it.

Bite-not collars will keep him from licking at it, and you can always take a pair of boy's sweatpants and put those on him to keep things covered but still allow breathability - just cut a hole for his tail and you're good to go!

Guest GentleHugs

Poor Anubis.... I HATE those extended leashes! They should be banned because most everyone I seen who use them - don't use them correctly!

OK - going back to Anubis' boo boo. A friend of mine's grey girl Diamond got attacked a few months ago by a loose dog. Tore Diamond up pretty bad but Diamond survived. Diamond had a few large open wounds they were not able to close up or keep closed up and out of frustration and willing to do ANYTHING she could for Diamond, Sheila (She's on GT but forgot her screen name) ordered and started using Manuka honey wound cream on the open wounds. The wounds were not small - they were huge! Anyway, after she started using it, Sheila noticed a very remarkable improvement and healing on the open wounds! Even Sheila's vet was impressed and Diamond is now totally recovered. She just celebrated her 6th birthday!

Anyway, my senior girl Ashley ended up getting a fairly large patch of skin ripped off of her leg over this past weekend. It's in an area that would be difficult to close up with stitches or staples so we opted to irrigate it/wash it out with sterile saline solution, use neosporin with pain reliever in it and keep it bandaged. It's healing and there's no sign of infection or anything but I went ahead and ordered the manuka honey wound cream just in case because I've heard nothing but greyt things about it. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow and I WILL be using it since Ashley's wound is still not completely healed yet. I ordered mine off of Amazon.com. It's called Dr. Nordykes manuka honey wound cream.

You might want to try the manuka honey wound cream and see if that will help heal that burn area on Anubis. To keep him from licking at the wound, I'm not sure what else to try other than maybe a soft bite not collar instead? I know some Greys don't like wearing muzzles but sometimes it's a necessity so they don't cause further injury to themselves.

Good luck and hugs to Anubis. I hope he starts to feel better. He's one lucky pup since it missed his femoral artery.

Guest carolxi

Yes, Anubis came to me with a dog bite that needed stitches and I put one of my T-shirts on him to keep him from worrying the stitches. I'll have a look around and see what I have. He's sleeping most of the time, so his legs are closed and the cut isn't really getting any air that way, anyway.

Ouch! That sounds very painful! :gmark

Carol - when Indy got clocked by a squirrel I had to take him to the ER (regular vet was closed, of course). ER vet stapled gash, which was right next his eye, rather than suture (it's faster and easier) - so they sent Indy home with a very large lampshade! Indy sported the e-collar for ten days - no problem at all (other than ramming me in the butt! and you have to wipe the dirt, slobber, and food out of the collar).

The only problem would be if Anubis could still reach the wound area with the collar on. Holly had sutures on a rear paw several years ago and could still reach it with an e-collar on. At night I had to muzzle her to keep her from licking and pulling the sutures out.

What I did (as I didn't have a poo guard) was sew a fine mesh piece of material - similar to fish netting - to the muzzle so she could drink and breathe easily. It wasn't fancy or sophisticated but worked like a charm.

Retractable leashes. Aaaaaargh! Bad idea.

Hugs for Anubis. Poor pupper. :dogcookie

Guest carolxi

Has anyone left thier Grey at home alone with this kind of injury? I'm afraid to leave him with the muzzle - he could get it caught, he could throw up and choke, anything could happen. Fortunately, I've called in to work and said that I will take 3 vacation days for this, but I have to go on Monday and I'm worried about leaving him like this.

I've printed the instructions for the pants and I'll see what I can come up with. I will also order the honey.

I used some tape on the muzzle instead of stool guard -- left more holes in case of something like upchucking. Just medical adhesive tape, looped around and stuck to itself. Pics so you can see how much I covered up (just enough that he couldn't lick his tummy incision):

yetanotherview.jpg

bottomview.jpg

sideview.jpg

onthedog.jpg

Best if he keeps his mouth off it, but if 1/3 of his tongue manages to get thru the holes and touch it, not the end of the world.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

Unless it's stitches, I don't generally stop a dog from licking their wounds unless they start to turn it into a hot spot. A little licking shouldn't hurt anything. Sometimes *we* obsess so much about an injury, that the dog starts obsessing about it too. If we've needed to use something, boxers or a t-shirt on backwards has worked well (or the leggings link posted above). Some topicals work for some dogs, like EMT spray. Most of ours will avoid licking that.

Poor bubby...I hope he heals quickly. :getwell We've had a few nasty line burns from lure coursing and they are no fun, for sure.

Poor guy. I hope he heals up soon.

I agree with Kennelmom. I don't normally stop them from licking wounds unless they obsess on it.

As for flexi's, I really dislike them, but I can say that I've felt Anubis' pain, I had a wicked flexi burn on the back of my calves a few years back at a pet store. :(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Becky__R

Oh no-a rope burn to the groin sounds horrible. This has kept my greys from licking their wounds every time in the past. It will sound dumb, but it works. I turn the thermostat down a couple degrees, and put a sheet on them. It's a full sized sheet, and I orient it so their head is poking out and their enitre body is shrouded under the sheet. Out of sight, out of reach, out of mind. Eventually they get up or move, so this doesn't work for the entire day. You can relax and watch some tv with your dog recooperating nearby. Also, try putting a pillow between his knees when he is laying down. Greys are so easy going, he'll probably just leave it and it will let some air flow to his wound. As far as leaving him while you go to work, I think he'll be ok. I wouldn't leave anything attached to his head [muzzles E-collars] while you're away, just for safety reasons. Poor, poor puppy...give him a pat for me.

Guest knitkass

gah, I remember when I was a kid, using one of those flexi-leads and accidentally rope-burning my little cousin. Painful! Even if they were okay for greyhounds I wouldn't use one again!

Back to Anubis's injury, I agree with the idea that if it's not something that has stitches to pull out, then a little licking is just fine. The antibiotic ointment probably tastes nasty anyway, so that should successfully deter him. If he keeps worrying at it, then maybe consider putting on the muzzle with the tape or stool guard.

Hoping he heals quickly! (and you got the guy's number so he can pay for your vet bills!)

Guest Energy11

Rope burns/road rash ARE THE WORST, and the most painful! Poor Guy. They should outlaw those flex leads altogether! :-(

I hope he heals quickly!

Guest carolxi

"Hoping he heals quickly! (and you got the guy's number so he can pay for your vet bills!)"

Are you kidding? As with most bad irresponsible owners, he was gone in a minute. Even if I had asked him he would have given me grief and I was more interested in Anubis's leg then anything else. Most of the time these people vanish into thin air.

Guest carolxi
gah, I remember when I was a kid, using one of those flexi-leads and accidentally rope-burning my little cousin. Painful! Even if they were okay for greyhounds I wouldn't use one again!

Back to Anubis's injury, I agree with the idea that if it's not something that has stitches to pull out, then a little licking is just fine. The antibiotic ointment probably tastes nasty anyway, so that should successfully deter him. If he keeps worrying at it, then maybe consider putting on the muzzle with the tape or stool guard.

Hoping he heals quickly! (and you got the guy's number so he can pay for your vet bills!)

Anubis has 2 wounds the rope cut is right up in the crease of his groin. The vet says its going to be a problem to heal and is going to be really sore because of its position. That's also why I have no idea how its going to heal. He lies with his legs closed and so its covered in the crease of his leg most of the time. The burn is lower down on the inside of his leg.

I'm going to talk to the vet on Saturday. I don't know how I'm going to leave him all day when I go back to work on Monday. I can't leave him alone with an e-collar or a muzzle.

Guest LindsaySF

Use the stool guard on the muzzle when you're home. When you leave you can try Batmom's suggestion with the tape on the muzzle. I would also try to fashion some shorts or something for him to wear, but not too tight as to restrict airflow. Good luck.

This is exactly the reason I bought a flexi without the "piano wire." Mine is the one with all nylon belt. I only bought it when Manero was healing from foot surgery (due to an injury), and had to be leash walked. He had never learned to potty on leash, so I wanted to give him more privacy. Comes in handy when travelling for dog shows too - works when no one else is around, like at the hotel.

Sorry to hear of your trouble! Hope Anubis heals well and quickly. And if you ever see the guy again, make sire you mention to him what happened!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest carolxi
Use the stool guard on the muzzle when you're home. When you leave you can try Batmom's suggestion with the tape on the muzzle. I would also try to fashion some shorts or something for him to wear, but not too tight as to restrict airflow. Good luck.

So do people think its ok for me to leave him all day alone with the muzzle on? Have any of you guys done this?

Poor Anubis! You may want to ask your vet for a Rx for Silvadene cream. It is used to treat human burns. As a veteran lure courser, I have used it for years to treat some really nasty line burns & it works wonders. I also agree that unless sutures are present that some licking is not such a bad thing. Lots of hugs & white light being sent to Anubis.

Poor Anubis! You may want to ask your vet for a Rx for Silvadene cream. It is used to treat human burns. As a veteran lure courser, I have used it for years to treat some really nasty line burns & it works wonders.

Oh yeah! SSD ointment (silvadene). That is what we use too for things that can't be sutured. Awesome stuff.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest RocketDog

I have left muzzles on all day with no problems at all. They can still eat, drink and even lick themselves through the muzzle if they're really determined.

Another product to check out - Granulex! I'm using it on some lick granulomas one of my fosters has, and it works wonders according to reviews.

Guest carolxi
Here is the post on making a home made bite-not collar:

home made bite not collar

I just checked this out and its brilliant! You can use a towel and duct tape to make your own. Unfortunately, Anubis has his cut and burn in his groin, and it says it will prevent them from getting at most part of their body except for the leg. I'm going to try it anyway and see what happens.

Thanks so, so much.