Sudden Panting

Guest SkinnyPete

Guest SkinnyPete

I don't think anything is wrong, more out of curiosity than anything. My new grey seems to do this sometimes. He'll be laying against the inside of his crate, looking and behaving normally, and then suddenly he starts panting rapidly and licking his chops. Lasts for maybe a couple minutes and then he stops, lays down and continues acting normally. He seems fine. Curious if that is just common behavior or maybe he might have a slight allergy to something?

Guest Energy11

Licking the chops/nose is sometimes a sign of nausea. If he is nauseaous, that would account for the panting.

Maybe nerves, too. If it continues, maybe a quick visit to the vets to be sure all is well.

Good Luck!

Guest SkinnyPete

He saw a vet yesterday just as an initial checkup and everything looked fine. He had very loose stools. Vet did a smear which came back fine. We suspected the food as the culprit even before the visit, so we're in the process of slowly switching him. Noticed an improvement in stool already this morning. So, maybe he is a little nauseous due to that. Will keep an eye out.

Thanks.

Guest Energy11

Yep, sometimes it is the food :-(

You will find one that works, I am sure. Good deal on getting a clean bill of health from the vets, too :-))