Cauterizing Corn

Missy and Garry have both been struggling with corns. Missy seems to be producing them fast..the one on the left foot seems to have been hulled out..hasn't returned in a while. Now she has two on her right foot. Tonight was the third hulling for those. My vet said that it might be a good idea to cauterize her corns. In that way she will reach the "feeding root" and hopefully stop it from returning. She has LS..so these corns add to her problems.

Poor Garry was limping so bad again I got nervous..his corn seemed small on the surface. But he did pull away when I touched it. I have been putting propolis, kerasolv and bag balm on. I was able to hull it myself last time..but wasn't able to do so. My vet said it was small in diameter, but very deep. At least he lets me put stuff on his foot; where Missy is impossible!

Any experiences with cauterizing corns?

Thanks.

Guest sknydog

YES! And it was AWFUL! She hulled the corn out first then injected lidocain (painful) then cauterized it. It ended up getting infected and was more painful than when he had the corn. He went from limping when he had the corn to not using that leg for over two weeks because of the pain and infection. AND the corn came right back! :angryfire

YES! And it was AWFUL! She hulled the corn out first then injected lidocain (painful) then cauterized it. It ended up getting infected and was more painful than when he had the corn. He went from limping when he had the corn to not using that leg for over two weeks because of the pain and infection. AND the corn came right back! :angryfire

OH GEEEEZZZZ! I am anxious to see what other people have or have not experienced! Sorry for your troubles!

Donna

Guest PhillyPups

BarbieJade had corns done on all 4 feet at the same time (not my choice, but that is another story for another time) - only one came back (or it was a new one) she did fine. I was able to get the one that came back off with the duct tape method. Her feet were tender for a couple of days right after the procedure (maybe cause it was all 4 feet - soft surfaces were okay), then she was fine.

Not exactly.

When Zema was under for her dental, vet hulled her corn one last time and then ran very lightly over the hulled surface (the divot) with the surgical laser; his words were "just kissed" it. It didn't come back.

She didn't need a bandage, wasn't sore, healing time was zero.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

thank you for your responses. My vet said she uses laser in the procedure, but they would have to be bandaged for a few days. Missy will not tolerate a bandage on her foot and would have to wear a collar. Garry might cooperate with leaving it alone...he is still limping SO bad..this morning I put a boot on his foot and he did a bit better. I will have them both hulled one more time in 2 weeks and decide after that if I will have them cauterized.

oy....i had my planter's warts cauterized decades ago. it was AWFUL....the pain was remarkable and i still debris one of the scars so i can walk on the ball of my foot. the wart was down to the bone and acids did absolutely nothing. but it does seem as if dogs heal better than humans.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you have trouble with foot bandages (chewing and ripping off the bandage), try hunting booties. I went to a hunting store and got a set of neoprene rubber hunting booties that velcro with two straps. Might help if you do have to bandage.

Chad