Juneau Still In Pain

Guest greycrew

Guest greycrew

As I wrote last week, my 11 yr old has bone cancer, tumor in his shoulder. He was taking tramadol and rymadil and it didn't touch the pain. I started with 2 tramadol a day, but vet said he can have 4 (50mg each). I have him up to 4 along with 2 rimadyl (50mg), but he still won't put his leg down and is limping around and can't get comfortable when he goes to bed. He sleeps on 2 orvis dogs bed (one on top of other) with a king size down comforter folded on top. It's very comfortable, trust me - I lay on it with him! And he can't play bow when he gets excited which is annoying him, I can tell! But, he is really happy - no lack of appetite, plays with his stuffies, runs to the door to greet me with his helicopter tail going. I don't know what else to do. I hate to see him in pain, but he still seems so happy!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also I've been reading about Artemisinin. And luck with it and where can I get it?

Thanks!

Sharon

Guest Energy11

Max (who had Osteo of the shoulder), was comfortable on the Tramadol and Deramaxx. It helped for a while. You could call the vet and see what else he/she suggests. Poor baby! :-( Bone cancer is very painful! Lots of love and hugs!

Guest MyBoys

I agree, call your vet and see if there is something else you can try or a combo of something else, keeping him comfortable is the most important thing right now and you are doing all you can for him. Your a great mom and I have been there so I totally understand what you are going through. Prayers for you and your sweet boy.

Guest Flysmom

I cannot give you advice with the meds..

My Fly, he had Fibro sarcoma, was the happiest dog ever, even though in the end the painmeds did not work anymore. He was smiling, trying to roach and eating like it would be outlawed the next day.

Sending positive thoughts to you and Juneau.

Guest Grhndad

Don't know how big your boy is but my Lexie was 65 lb and at the end was on 150 mg tramadol 3x a day along with a 65lb dose of Metacam. She started with 75 mg 3x a day and it was upped as her pain increased. That works out to 9 50mg tramadol tablets daily the max for a 65 lb dog. I'd check with your vet to maybe increse the tramadol dosage.

Lexie girl was happy and tried to be playful right up to the end.

I would talk further with your vet and see if you can find a better combo/dosage of meds.

Sometimes the cancer is so far advanced that there is nothing you can do, tho.

My heart goes out to you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greycrew

I have a call into the vet today. Juneau weighs 70 lbs. He lost 10 lbs in a year and all he does is eat! He's only taking 4 50mg tabs of tramadol so maybe the vet will up it.

I was hoping to take him to the beach one last time this weekend. he loves the beach, but that's a 3 hr drive and I don't know how good that would be for him...

thanks for all the support!

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Oh I hope he gets to go to the beach :hope I have no experience with bone cancer though, I would think that 6 hours (round trip) on the road might be too much unless you had his pain meds upped a little beforehand to make him more comfy. If you do take him be sure to get lots of pics, you know you will have to post them for us to see :) Maybe there is somewhere you could stay the night so it breaks up the trip?

Kisses to Juneau :kiss2

Guest greycrew

the vet called back and said he's already taking the highest dose. And that he can order a patch for me if I want but that they are expensive and he's not sure it will work. this is torture!

I will def post pics tonight when I'm home. He's awful handsome, my Junebug!

Anyone use the patch for pain?

Guest barkdogs

Don't know where you live but. . . U. Penn vetschool in Philly did a study a few years ago injecting a capsasin derivitive (hot stuff in hot peppers) to specific areas (while the dog is anesthetized!) and had good results. I don't know if they are still doing it but it might be worth calling to find out. . . their appointment desk is 215.746.8911. Unfortunately I don't know which department (neurology?) you would need to be referred to.

Good luck--I lost by loved hound Leo to osteosarcoma last December.

Guest trevdog

Sending prayers and good thoughts to your boy. I know others on here have used the pain patch as well. Is there somewhere closer you could take him that he would enjoy? I think that long of a trip might be too stressful for him.

When Trevor was dx with OS, he was thrilled just to go for car rides and trips to Petsmart, although we didn't walk around too much. We had also just moved, so I took him back to our old neighborhood a few times as that's where he spent most of his retirement. He enjoyed that very much too.

For Jam, he enjoyed going back to Derby Lane one more time. Even though it tired him out, he was so excited to be there again, I could just see the sparkle in his eyes return.

There might be other meds you could try as well...

Guest Energy11

I used the patch on my husband who was dying from cancer. It DID help him. I have never used it on a greyhound or other dog, though. Might be worth a try. I know OF others who have used it, with some success on their greys.

I am sorry you and your baby is going through this. Max had Osteo when we were moving from Florida to the Georgia Mts. a year ago May, and he rode in the back of DH's car, so he wouldn't have the other four stepping on him, etc., and he was fine with the trip, BUT, his Osteo was not that far advanced at the time.

Good Luck with your baby! Love and prayers from here.

Guest Hoolyghans

I don't have any direct experience but I think if I was in your position I'd ask the vet what would be the harm in going over the recommended dosage?

If time is limited anyway, I wouldn't be worried about long term effects (liver/kidney damage for instance) if it would buy a few good days/weeks right now.

If a higher dose would cause some kind of immediate & traumatic side effect, that would be a different.

Guest greycrew

Yes, my bf said just give him a little more. From what i'm reading on the boards other vets prescribed higher dosages so I don't think it can hurt. i will do some more research on the drug.

I don't think I should take him on that long drive. Maybe some shorts walks around my neighborhood. He's loves rides in the car, too, but I have a honda pilot and he can't jump in it anymore - i have to lift him in and i'm so afraid I'm going to hurt him.

Thank heaven for greytalk. I don't know what I'd do without it! :)

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Our Vet prescribed 100mg/dose and up to 4 times a day for Tramadol. When an NSAID and max tramadol didn't control the pain, we added Neurotin.

Guest knitkass

I'd hesitate just adding more if the vet says specifically not to. They base doses on weight, which can vary greatly.

And to answer the whole happy and in pain thing, yes. Any time my Callay has been sick she's still been extremely excited about all her usual things, walkies, cookies, brushies. I've always told myself that the day she's NOT excited about walkies is the day she's told me she's done.

Hoping your boy gets more comfortable soon.

Guest greycrew

That's what I keep trying to tell myself. That he's still happy and loves his stuffies and treats and food and when that stops I'll let him go. But, I know he's in so much pain and I know they try to mask it sometimes and he can't. And do I really want him to get so sick that he not happy anymore or do I let him go while he's still happy. I don't know what to do. I don't want to let him go...

Guest Energy11

You know your baby better than anyone. If you think he is in too much pain, and his quality of life is getting worse, it might be time ... You will know in your heart, ... I did.

Love and hugs to you during this difficult and heart-wrenching time!

Both of my brindle boys had Osteo. I used the meds you are and kept them comfortable, but when I could tell ( and you will know) they were no longer able to be comfortable lying down or taking their favorite car ride I knew the time had come to say good-by. All our greys are different and I wish you luck that you find the right dosage to have him a while longer. Lots of hugs and prayers.

Guest greycrew

Well, it's time for Juneau to go. We had an ice cream and pizza party last night. He loved that, but he had a hard time getting around last night. I gave him the tramadol every 4-5 hours hoping it would help. But, he was in terrible pain. He loves to jump off his dog bed and chase the other dogs away from the dog bowls (they ignore him of course) and when he did that this morning he started yelping in pain. It was first time he did that. All the dogs ran to him - a couple of them started kissing him. Tone was kissing his shoulder (he's so smart!) and I feel totally helpless now. I wanted to spend the weekend with him, but I can't let him be in pain.

I also want to thank everyone who answered my posts. It really helps so much. And although I haven't been answering other posts I've been reading them all in the Health and Rememberance sections (and crying my eyes out) and they are all so helpful and I'm praying for everyone.

Will be keeping you and your pupper close in my thoughts. Sometimes the right thing to do is hard beyond imagining.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.