Another Thyroid Question

Guest JoyceJ

Guest JoyceJ

Daniel is our 3rd grey to be on Soloxine but our first with this issue. He's a a little over 10 with bad teeth but no other known health issues besides the low thyroid . He started Soloxine last year and his first recheck was fine. His dark belly lightened up, he grew hair on his belly and his fur changed from wirey to soft. Recheck in March showed T4 was still a little low so dosage was increased.

Here's where the puzzle starts. Recheck with hs annual visit last week showed T4 was even lower with the increased dosage. I'm currently waiting on results from new bloodwork we just did Saturday but all the time wondering why. I'm hoping that it was just a lab error as I do realize that could happen. My vet seems to think that the Soloxine I ordered online (reputable company here in the good old USA) could have been old/outdated as I know Danel is actually ingesting the pill. I hope it's just the medication itself and not something else going on with him medically.

His activity level is still the same but he is occasionally refusing food--maybe once a week (always breakfast). I've not been concerned about that until now.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's had this experience or who might offer insight into what else (medically) might be going on with our sweet boy.

Thanks for your replies, either here on the Forum or privately.

Was it only a T4 test that was done?

Is Daniel getting Soloxine or Thyroxine?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

I have a friend who has a ten yr old grey, and SOLOXINE, did NOT work for him! He basically has NO thyroid function. They started him on Thyroxine, and he is doing VERY well. Just might be a change in medications, which might do the trick! Good Luck!

My Curfew is on Soloxine, and he gets his first check Wed. I, personally, think, it is working extremely well :-)

Guest JoyceJ
Was it only a T4 test that was done?

Is Daniel getting Soloxine or Thyroxine?

Initial testing was full panel thru Michigan State before starting him on SOLOXINE (BRAND NAME). First recheck also done thru MSU. Recheck in March was just a T4 as was the recheck a week ago,both done thru a local lab. Last one on Saturday was for both T4 and TSH.

How long after dosing is the test being run? And what were the T4's you're concerned about?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest JoyceJ
How long after dosing is the test being run? And what were the T4's you're concerned about?

Tests being run 3-4 hours after morning meds with morning feeding.

First T4 from Michigan State was 4 (reference range 15-67). I can't find the MSU recheck. Last T4 was point 4 on IDEXX (reference range 1.0-4.7); previously had been 1.2 on IDEXX.

Dosage has been increased from point 6 to point 8 and yet T4 level has dropped.

Just a thought I want to put out there as I have never used Michigan for the testing but maybe have it retested through Dr. Jean Dodds, Hemopet. She tests only breed specific. Maybe you could get a more accurate reading through her. Hoping for the best!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest JoyceJ

Oh well, either the labwork done last week was just plain wrong or our Daniel is just a little weird.

T4 & TSH that was done Saturday came back within limits. T4 was 1.2 and TSH was point 4 on IDEXX. Funny how I deal so well with foster dogs and yet get stressed with our own furkids.

Silly me ......

Thanks everyone for reading/responding.

I'm returning to my "normal" status now...

Edited by JoyceJ