Vomitting After Drinking Water

Vet wants me to limit the amount of water Garry drinks at one time (wants him to have sips at a time) due to his gastro-enteritis..DH filled up water bowl to let the other two drink and left it down. SO Garry drank a large amount at one time. this is normal for him. then ran up the stairs. Naturally all the water came up. mixed with grass as well. I am hoping his medicine taken 2 hours earlier was digested by then. they were given with his dinner and there was no visible food on the carpet. This is not the first time this has happened to him.

Does anyone have problems with this? How is it possible to limit the amount of water a dog drinks??? I always leave filled bowls for them. I am sure that if I had he wait to go upstairs after drinking, he would not have vomited. But I didn't know he was drinking..

Some techniques:

Put only 1 cup in each bowl at once.

Put ice cubes in the bowls instead of liquid.

If you're leaving the house for a time, you may want to have more than 1 cup in each bowl, but while you're home it isn't necessary. You can also scatter a few extra bowls around the house with 1 cup in each.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Some techniques:

Put only 1 cup in each bowl at once.

Put ice cubes in the bowls instead of liquid.

If you're leaving the house for a time, you may want to have more than 1 cup in each bowl, but while you're home it isn't necessary. You can also scatter a few extra bowls around the house with 1 cup in each.

That is what I started doing..figured if it isn't full he can't drink a lot at once. I forgot to ask the vet how long he wants me to do this for.

Garry had his first normal poop this morning in nearly one month!! yay!!

Today I think I will feed him 4 meals instead of 2..do this for a couple days and see how he goes. My vet said to let him know how he was on Tuesday;that would be six days of double flagyl.

Guest Energy11

You can also add Gatorade or Pedilyte 50/50 to the water to help rehydrate Garry. I would do it, like on of the others said, one cup at a time, spaced out. Like humans, when you are dehydrated, all you want to do is DRINK, and yes, it will come up. Ice or ice chips are also a good idea, he gets his "water fix." but in limited amounts. You could do the Gatorate/Pedilyte ice cubes too!

Good Luck and Glad he is on the mend :-))