Stinky Dogs

Guest luvdogs

Guest luvdogs

I have two dogs that have gas - it is on-going. I don't care, I just walk away. The other day though, I had friends over and it was really bad. We all ended up laughing about it, but it was hard to have a conversation while everyone had their shirts covering their noses. I admit, they do stink! It got me thinking, is there anything you can add to their food to cut down on the gas? Like Beano does for humans for instance? any ideas, or tried and true with results? Thanks!

Guest Energy11

You can give Gas X. I use the generic sometimes.

Might want to rethink what you are feeding, if you have that much gas. Curfew is the gassy one here, but he is on a lot of meds, so I attribute the gas to that. The other four are fine. Good Luck with a "stinky" situation!

Try changing to a different food with a different protein source. If you find something that agrees with them better, you won't have a bad gas problem.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

When we first brought Wendy home, the house smelled like a sewer! Real paint-peelers. :fart Our vet recommended FortiFlora. It really works...no more stinkies. You can buy it from your vet or a bit cheaper on-line. We get ours from Entirely Pets.

http://www.entirelypets.com/fortiflora.html

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest BatesieGreys

From what I've read, it doesn't seem like plain yogurt actually has enough of the stuff that helps digestion to actually make a difference to a dog. That said, Daisy has less gas and better poos on yogurt than not. Without the yogurt, she is MUCH gassier and it smells more. It's definitely worth a try. I would also change the food too if you can afford to do it. Some dogs just don't digest some foods well. If the yogurt isn't working, then look into some kind of pro-biotic powder to add to the food.

Good luck!

(And if nothing else works you could always buy stock in gas-masks)

Guest sheila

I have had 5 greyhounds and have never (except for the one time I fed the dogs raw eggs) had to experience the dreaded 'greyhound gas' that I hear tell about. I don't know that I do anything any different than anyone else. I have fed my dogs everything from premium to mid-range kibble. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I would suspect that if TWO dogs had gassy issues it would be something in their staple diet that is causing it and I would look at changing that rather than tweaking it with a supplement.

I have had 5 greyhounds and have never (except for the one time I fed the dogs raw eggs) had to experience the dreaded 'greyhound gas' that I hear tell about. I don't know that I do anything any different than anyone else. I have fed my dogs everything from premium to mid-range kibble. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I would suspect that if TWO dogs had gassy issues it would be something in their staple diet that is causing it and I would look at changing that rather than tweaking it with a supplement.

Just curious as to what you feed them? Thanks.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Two thoughts:

1 - Check the protein level of your kibble. If it's a brand with higher protein (like most premium brands) you may want to consider changing foods to a lower protein food. Sometimes it's the *type* of protein, but I think the amount matters more. Unless your greys are lure coursing or doing other strenuous work they really don't need that much to thrive.

2 - Yogurt does work for some and not for others. The trick is to be consistent about feeding it and give it at least two weeks before you evaluate it's effectiveness with your dogs. Other enzymatics will work faster because they're concentrated.

Our newest grey Toni came to us on Science Diet to help her gain weight. She had THE most HORRENDOUS gas I've ever experienced. We turned the air conditioner on in February to aerate the bedroom! After she gained her weight back we slowly transitioned her to our kibble (Pedigree Adult small bites) and she's been gas-free ever since. And the other three are also. They do get a nice spoon of yogurt at breakfast and dinner, along with their kibble and spoon of canned food for gravy. All four hold their weight well and have plenty of energy for normal backyard playing and zoomies.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly