How Long With D Before Vet Visit?

I posted this is food forum: thinking it was food related. but I am not sure what to do. He has had 4 liquid poops since 7 am this morning. My vet is off until Monday, but there are others on call. I am most comfortable with her, but if I have to take him in I will. this is what I posted in other forum: advice/experiences please!

I have been having stomach problems with two out of three dogs on and off since the end of June...Garry with D and Flex (Ig) with gurgly stomach loss of appetite) It all started with Garry (male grey) shortly after we came back from going away. I thought it was in reaction to him being somewhere else for a few days since he is a nervous guy. Then the little Ig started eating grass and not acting right. I then realized I had just opened a new bag of Nature's variety..this was venison. The last bag had been beef. I have been alternating bags for quite a while without a problem. My vet put him on flagyl and I fed him boiled beef and pasta for a few days, then transitioned back to NV beef again. His poop improved but was never solid. Kept him on flagyl for a while and decreased dosage of it gradually, completely stopping it one week ago today on the 13th . of August. I was giving him Nutri-vet probiotics (one pill twice a day with his meals), but yesterday I mistakenly gave him MINE which is much more potent.. (mine= 20 billion CFU/his= 1 billion). That was two meals yesterday. I also opened a new bag of NV beef Tuesday night for their dinner. Yesterday his poops were softer and now they are liquid. He woke DH up at 1 am to go out and this morning after he went out..there was a "pile" of liquid...My vet is off until Monday. I started him back on Flagyl and am feeding him plain boiled chop meat this morning; a small amount so he rests his intestines. Checked for worms last time: none. Heartworm meds on Tuesday.

We had this problem with him right after we got him 4 years ago...eventually put him on IVD prescription food (venison and potato) and things got good. Then switched to NV which have been ok until recently. I am wondering if they changed their formula or could the increase in probiotics be the culprit. Before today's problem, my vet was thinking he had a nervous stomach since he is a very nervous guy and sometimes on walks is spooked by noises,etc. He just did more liquid poop when he went out after eating a small amount of chop meat.

My Ig doesn't get D....but an upset stomach that seems to be related to opening of new bags. He is also being treated for uti again..

When Garry had this problem years ago my (then) vet put him on Science Diet ( I think ID) and he got WORSE. I remember giving him rice and the D also worsened, so i think he may be sensitive to rice. I typically give him pasta or white potato with boiled chopmeat when he needs it and not rice.

Missy is fine through all this until this morning she turned her nose up at her food until I put some chop meat on it.

I am sorry this is so long...I am at a loss as to what to do and hoping someone has some advice.

Thanks!

Donna

Guest GiJenn51

The big thing with diarrhea is dehydration. I wouldn't go more than 3 days. Keep on eye on the skin turgor. If it stays tented then he should go in. Keep an eye on how much water he drinks too.

Guest onegreydog

When Laci's leg broke in Jan. she had a spell of diarrhea, my vet said to give her Imodium AD. I gave her one caplet twice a day. Boiled chicken & rice in small amounts, maybe four times a day. It worked for her. I gave it to her for about three days and she did fine on it. I hope it works for your guy too.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=...59&aid=1432

Edited by onegreydog

If no improvement by day 3, they go to the vet that day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The big thing with diarrhea is dehydration. I wouldn't go more than 3 days. Keep on eye on the skin turgor. If it stays tented then he should go in. Keep an eye on how much water he drinks too.

thank you. can you please explain what turgor and stays tented mean...I know to check his gums..if they are pink he is not dehydrated. if white, he is.

thanks

I think I'd fast and make sure he has water and then feed him a bland diet. I found with my pup that rice never ever ever worked so I use instant mashed potatoes instead and that works *great*.

I know when she gets her bouts, nine times out of 10 it's due to something the little brat picked up on a walk. If it's not better in three days go to the vet, or if there is blood etc.

Gum color doesn't have to do with dehydration -- that has to do with blood flow and if you've got white gums you need to get to the vet ASAP, like 10 minutes ago.

If the gums *feel* tacky and dry, dog is dehydrated. If you pull up a fold of skin along the shoulders and it stays peaked up when you let it go, dog is dehydrated; in a well-hydrated dog, fold of skin will snap right back into place.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Could be food-related, could be irritable bowels, ... anything. As the others have said DEHYDRATION is the biggest thing to worry about. You CAN give Gatorade OR Pedilyte 50/50 mixed in his water to help rehydrate. I'd stay with a bland diet until you see the vets, and little amounts at a time. boiled chicken, rice, plain yogert, maybe some canned unseasoned pumpkin... whatever works. I wouldn't wait too long to see the vet, either. Good luck!

If you pull up a fold of skin along the shoulders and it stays peaked up when you let it go, dog is dehydrated; in a well-hydrated dog, fold of skin will snap right back into place.

Just my opinion, but this is the best way to check. We do the same with the elderly(humans)

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest MyBoys

I have been going through the same with all 3 of my boys, but I only waited a day and a half because my youngest guy stopped eating and drinking. I call my vet and took him in right away. He was actually crying and whinning by the time we got there. My vet did blood work and saw his kidney levels were already off and he was already starting to dehydrate. Right away she put him on IV fluids to get him hydrated. I was able to take him home and all 3 of my boys are now on antibiotics. Please make sure your pup is taking fluids if he is going that often, knowing now how quickly they can dehydrate I would get him in to see the vet.

Did you by chance see the other post about the Dog flu ? I would usually say if there is no improvement in two to three days with diarrhea to get the dog into the vet BUT, it appears that you are in the area with the dog flu. With that in mind, you might want to get them in earlier ...

Did you by chance see the other post about the Dog flu ? I would usually say if there is no improvement in two to three days with diarrhea to get the dog into the vet BUT, it appears that you are in the area with the dog flu. With that in mind, you might want to get them in earlier ...

Yes, I did see that post and it worried me. He seems fine except for the diarrhea..he has a good appetite (although I only fed him a small amount of chop meat this morning) and drank after his walk; which is normal for him. He has not been out again..also normal for him, so I guess that is a good sign that he hasn't pooped since his morning walk. I put some gatorade in the water bowl, but he hasn't had any yet.

I have decided to only give him till tomorrow till going to the vet. Unless, of course things change and he needs to go in sooner, I will.

I took Garry into the vet this morning. His poop was let's just say "not good". Gross. I did bring it into the vet in case he wanted to do another test on it.

He said it (poop) looked like gastroenteritis. He didn't feel it was necessary to repeat stool test. Garry is not de-hydrated so that is good. He has a good appetite as well.

He put him on amoxicillan for the bacteria in his intestine and told me to double the flagyl for 6 days. Continue with pepcid before eating as well since he is a gagger.

He also said to stop chopmeat and pasta; feed him his regular food, but to give him small meals throughout the day and to let him only have small amounts of water at a time; because too much water at once can add to the D..that is tough to do with 2 other dogs in the house!

He didn't feel the extra acidophilus caused the D..and said it would be a good idea to continue it.I guess I will stick with the dog version since I am unsure of dosage amount for him. He did lose a few pounds since last visit; he is just under 71 lbs. Last time he was 75.

I hope he starts improving soon. Poor guy!