Start Of A Split Pad

I noticed today that one of Lexie's large pads looks like it is starting to split..like a start of a split. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse? Or what is the best thing to put on it to help it heal the crack? Neosporin or trypzyme liquid? Or should I just leave it alone? She will be going to a kennel in 3 weeks for a few days so I am hoping to help her now before something makes it worse.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest Energy11

Here is what I would do ... Good Luck!

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

Guest Parsniptoast

I massage the pads of both Reg and Meg with Udderly Smooth cream. It's a fabulous cream for humans but was developed for cow udders (hence the name). It is absorbed very quickly and acts as a barrier cream too. The act of massaging it in is therapeutic too :-)

Not sure this will help you but even if it doesn't sort out the split pad for your grey it will do wonders for your own hands.

Guest Buckleyboy

Petco also sells a product specifically for pads. It's a cream that is pretty thick and lasts a long time. I've gotten into the habit of rubbing my pups pads each night after our walk. I started using it after I noticed one pad was cracking and it was pretty much healed within 4 applications.