Mirage - Slit Pad And Now Limping

Guest PiagetsMom

Guest PiagetsMom

About a week ago I noticed small amounts of blood on my tile.......checked paws, and Mirage had slit one of his pads. We doctered, it bled a little on and off for a couple of days, and to the eye, it looks as though it's healed.

Well, a couple of days ago, Mirage started limping on that same hind leg. Since he was almost due for a thyroid recheck, I just moved that up a little and took him in to the vet today. Vet checked his paw, and it didn't seem to be tender for him, so we decided to xray the paw to see if it showed anything. Turns out, it did show foreign material in the pad. We also had bloodwork run for a dental that Mirage is due for, so Monday morning he goes in for his dental and minor surgery to try to remove whatever's in the pad.

The thing that makes me nervous is that the vet really didn't seem convinced that the pad was the problem for the limp, and said he would probably xray the rest of the leg while he was under for the other proceedures. I'd prefer to think it was paw related, but he's limping heavily this afternoon and not using his leg well at all, so even I'm beginning to wonder if it's not more than that. Not a lot phases him, so if he's limping badly, that's not good.

Please if you would, send good thoughts our way for a non-eventful dental and surgery on Monday......and hopefully good news afterwards.

Mirage says, "Thank You!" :kiss2

About a week ago I noticed small amounts of blood on my tile.......checked paws, and Mirage had slit one of his pads. We doctered, it bled a little on and off for a couple of days, and to the eye, it looks as though it's healed.

Well, a couple of days ago, Mirage started limping on that same hind leg. Since he was almost due for a thyroid recheck, I just moved that up a little and took him in to the vet today. Vet checked his paw, and it didn't seem to be tender for him, so we decided to xray the paw to see if it showed anything. Turns out, it did show foreign material in the pad. We also had bloodwork run for a dental that Mirage is due for, so Monday morning he goes in for his dental and minor surgery to try to remove whatever's in the pad.

The thing that makes me nervous is that the vet really didn't seem convinced that the pad was the problem for the limp, and said he would probably xray the rest of the leg while he was under for the other proceedures. I'd prefer to think it was paw related, but he's limping heavily this afternoon and not using his leg well at all, so even I'm beginning to wonder if it's not more than that. Not a lot phases him, so if he's limping badly, that's not good.

Please if you would, send good thoughts our way for a non-eventful dental and surgery on Monday......and hopefully good news afterwards.

Mirage says, "Thank You!" :kiss2

Dang, Lisa, I am so hoping he is just sore from the exam and that the x-ray will be CLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Try not to worry so. If he's got foreign material in that pad, it hurts like nobody's business. If you had a pebble stuck in the ball of your foot, you'd be limping ......

Fingers crossed all will be well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sheila

you have blood on the floor, there is evidence of foreign material in his pad and the vet doesn't think that is the cause of the limp? Sounds silly to me. Of course the thing in his paw is the source of the issue. But while Mirage is there they may as well do the X ray just for peace of mind.

Guest PiagetsMom
you have blood on the floor, there is evidence of foreign material in his pad and the vet doesn't think that is the cause of the limp? Sounds silly to me. Of course the thing in his paw is the source of the issue. But while Mirage is there they may as well do the X ray just for peace of mind.

I went in firmly convinced that this was completely related to the paw injury.......I mean, how coincidental is it that he's limping on that same leg? I was more concerned that there might be an infection or something stuck inside. I didn't ask for any further xrays, but the vet mentioned it more than once, so I guess it can't hurt anything but my pocketbook.

He really is barely using the leg tonight......would he be that sore from a foot xray and exam?