Crate Rub

Guest LRay82

Guest LRay82

Just curious - how long does the hair generally take to grow back from crate rub?

My girl also has what sort of looks like a rash, but maybe they're sort of like bed sores... whatever it is, she licks at whenever she gets a chance. She was checked out by my agency's vet (spayed, dental cleaning, blood workup, general pysical) the day before I brought her home, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing major (like, that it needs meds), but I never noticed it until after we were home, so I didn't ask. Anyone else's dog have this?

Thanks!

Some times the hind quarter hair loss never returns, or may grow in full again, or just fuzzy, the rash issue, depends on how bad it is, could be anything from heat rash to a skin infection. If you just got your gray congrads. on becoming the parent of a greyt breed, but it is also important to have her checked by your vet, establish her soon, my boy came to me on a Sunday and by Wed. he was at our vet, This is just me, I know the greys are checked by other vets before they come to us, but I want my vet to give his or her opinion, on issues that I find Good Luck

Guest LRay82

She was at the adoption agency for about 4 weeks before we got her, and now she's been home for 6 days (and she finally let us sleep last night!!!). She's definitely got some fuzz, so I don't think she'll be a monkey-butt forever, but it's spotty in some areas, but her right hindquarter has the red irritation. I'll give my agency a call later and ask them about it, but I may decide to take her to the vet. I wish I'd noticed it sooner so I could tell if it's better/worse/no change.

If she's got irritation, needs to see the vet. Could be flea allergy dermatitis, could be staph.

The absence of hair isn't crate rub -- many greyhounds tend to have bald butts. Sometimes the hair fills in there over the years, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you get hair in winter and bald in summer ..... All normal. The irritation, however, is not normal.

Good luck, and congratulations on your girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Don't beat yourself up over not noticing somethings on your pup before you got her home, after you have her a days or weeks, you will start to notice other little things too, I know I did

Guest isntitgreyt

I would take her to the vet. Foxy had a skin irratation up her back when she came to me. The vet put her antibiotics and I had to dip her. It got worse before it got better but I can't imagine how bad it would have gotten if she hadn't gone to the vet right away. My last foster Joker had a dermatitis around his hind quarters. He too went on antibiotics to clear it up. Just my opinion but I would take her to your vet to be checked.

Congratulations on your new addition!!!

Edited by isntitgreyt

Guest MyBoys

If she is licking and bitting at the area it will probably only get worse before it gets better and it also might be uncomfortable for her. A trip to the vet is a good idea, why wait until it gets worse.

If she's got irritation, needs to see the vet. Could be flea allergy dermatitis, could be staph.

The absence of hair isn't crate rub -- many greyhounds tend to have bald butts. Sometimes the hair fills in there over the years, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you get hair in winter and bald in summer ..... All normal. The irritation, however, is not normal.

Good luck, and congratulations on your girl!

Agree with Batmom. We've had a few fosters come in with staph or other skin irritations, including flea bite dermatitis and contact dermatitis. Might need antihistamines, might need antibiotics, might not need anything at all, but it's a good idea to get it checked out :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Got a digital camera? Get some pictures of the rash and hair loss so you'll have something to compare to over time, as you're trying to figure whether things are getting better or worse.

My girl had a rash on her butt, and she wound up needing a spray (Gentocin?) to get over it. I snapped pictures so I'd have something to compare to. So, yeah, there's a Flickr set called, "Jacey's Butt." :D

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)