Hind End Tremor

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

I just took the hounds several houses down the street (It's rather hot, so that's as far as we went). Stood around talking with 2 different neighbors. Then I noticed my 11-yr-old Zippy's hindquarters trembling as though she'd just been racing in the yard (She overdoes it running with 5-yr-old Spinner and I've assumed the tremor after exertion was "normal"). But she hadn't been running at all today, and the walk was slow and short. Could this be related to heat? How concerned should I be seeing this one time? She's showing no signs of pain, back trouble, lameness or anything. Advice?

Guest Energy11

My Energy did that, and so did both of my other seniors. For Energy, it was arthritis. That is USUALLY the cause for the rear end shaking. As long as they are WALKING or moving, they are fine, but the do NOT do well standing.

I think that is what happened, ... too much standing, and, of course, the heat didn't help!

Good Luck and keep cool!

Guest MyBoys

My almost 11 year old boy has done the same thing a few times, we take nice slow walks because his hind legs are starting to weaken a bit with age. I noticed if he stands still for any length of time, especially at the vets, his back legs shake a bit.