Possible Eyesight Problem, Or Forgetfulness?

Asta has a doggie door that leads to a deck w/stairs down to the yard. She uses it a few times every day. The glass door is always closed unless the people are going in/out. Asta loves to run up the deck stairs and across the deck on her way into the house, and she always slows down as she maneuvers around the table to go through her door. Twice in a relatively short time she has headed for the glass door instead and really bonked her head. :ohno She hasn't done that -- that we've seen, anyway -- since right after the doggie door was installed almost 5 years ago. The first one I chalked up to her just being excited and forgetting or thinking the door looked open. The second one happened at night about a week later (last night). So I'm just wondering if her vision has changed . . . or she's forgetting . . . or these were flukes and that's that.

Thoughts?

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Asta has a doggie door that leads to a deck w/stairs down to the yard. She uses it a few times every day. The glass door is always closed unless the people are going in/out. Asta loves to run up the deck stairs and across the deck on her way into the house, and she always slows down as she maneuvers around the table to go through her door. Twice in a relatively short time she has headed for the glass door instead and really bonked her head. :ohno She hasn't done that -- that we've seen, anyway -- since right after the doggie door was installed almost 5 years ago. The first one I chalked up to her just being excited and forgetting or thinking the door looked open. The second one happened at night about a week later (last night). So I'm just wondering if her vision has changed . . . or she's forgetting . . . or these were flukes and that's that.

Thoughts?

How old is Asta? It is possible her vision is changing if she is a senior.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I too have sliders, and have had that happen, even with those pups that have lived here a long, long time, especially when the screen is in, I just thought they got so excited they forgot it sas there!

Kydie, thanks -- hoping it was just excitement. I feel like her vision has changed, possibly though, from other things I've seen her do just a little differently. We'll just keep an eye on her!

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Whatever the reason, I'd put stickers on the glass ASAP. There have been two GT dogs who've broken their necks running into glass doors. :(

It would be worth getting her checked out, but there may be nothing physically wrong. Sometimes they do surprise us with a change of habit.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

A quick way to check her vision, take a couple of cotton balls and throw them in the air, if she tracks them you know that she's at least able to see. This was the test we did when we found out Emmy had gone blind.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Whatever the reason, I'd put stickers on the glass ASAP. There have been two GT dogs who've broken their necks running into glass doors. :(

It would be worth getting her checked out, but there may be nothing physically wrong. Sometimes they do surprise us with a change of habit.

Was just going to suggest the same thing. You can even put an "X" on the door with masking tape to get her attention.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I agree that you should put stickers on the glass. Our dog ran smack into our slider once when DH didn't open it as wide as we usually do when he goes out. We learned our lesson. I have also moved some potted plants in front of the fixed glass portion of the door because I am worried Seamus might run into it when he is on auto-pilot.

Edited by Shaysmom
S.jpg

If you find that she's not tracking the cotton balls, I'd get her in to see an opthamologist and have them really check out her vision. It could be any number of things.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We just use tape on the low windows and slider. Best left on forever. If they can't see it, they can easily forget it's there, with disastrous results.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom
We just use tape on the low windows and slider. Best left on forever. If they can't see it, they can easily forget it's there, with disastrous results.

Yes :nod We don't have sliders but when we did, the tape stayed on the glass all the time.