Cosmo, Chemo And Food - The Familiar Dilemma

I know it hasn't been proven to help one way or the other, but Cosmo's been on a low carb, high protein diet since we discovered she had osteo. A large part of her diet has consisted of raw ground beef. She's been very happy about this and has had no problems as a result.

Now, the vet doing the chemo has said she's no fan of raw to begin with, so when I asked her if we should cook the ground beef while Cosmo's on chemo she said yes. Problem is, Cosmo is no fan of cooked hamburger. So, I weigh the benefits of feeding high protein low carb against the prospect of going back to her regular diet of mainly Kirkland kibble and I'm not sure what to do. I've looked at some of the grain free kibbles and unfortunately they're not an option.

Has anyone kept their dog on a raw diet while they went through chemo? If so, were there any problems with this?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Flippy has been on her raw diet since day 1 of starting chemo. Flippy's vet cautioned me about a raw diet and the chances of her getting an intestinal bug while her immune system was compromised from the chemo. Her words were, "I want you to be warned, but I'm not going to tell you to stop." The vet use to feed raw before her greyhound pack got large...I think she has 8 greys. Honestly, I've had dogs get tummy bugs from kibble, never from raw.

Flippy has done so well on her raw diet that the vet wanted my recipe. I don't know if the raw diet has helped specifically, but her complete bloodwork has always been perfect, and she hasn't had some of the side effects that others have experienced.

I know some will say that a no carb diet hasn't proven to extend life, but it is proven that cancer feeds on carbs...so I'm doing my best to have Flippy avoid them.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Rather than hamburg - can you use a roast and cut it up.

Hamburg is much more susceptible to bacteria because it is ground up.

Also, if you use a cut up roast you can quickly sear the smaller pieces so the outside is done but the inside is raw ...

Rather than hamburg - can you use a roast and cut it up.

Hamburg is much more susceptible to bacteria because it is ground up.

Very true. Or grind the meat yourself, or have it ground while you wait, then freeze in one serving packages.

If she won't eat it, it won't work. While chemo is going on, you have to feed what she will eat.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

If she won't eat it, it won't work. While chemo is going on, you have to feed what she will eat.

Yep. I wouldn't recommend raw for chemo dogs but better that she eats than not! Some good suggestions above for minimizing bacteria load. I would probably go for the roasts/larger cuts of meat, if she'll eat those; you can rinse quickly in boiling water to remove some bacteria without cooking anything.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.