What Is This....

Guest janiek

Guest onlymrsp

Can anyone tell me if they have either had experience with this or know anything about it? The dog has been diagnosed and is being treated, but what about contamination and incubation period and prevention and spreading and cleaning up afterwards and quarenteen? Can humans get this from the dog?

Thank you for your help.

Campylobacter is one of the most common food poisoning bugs, I think. I have a feeling it's associated with poultry?

So yes, I would think there's a risk of contamination, and care should be taken, but in people the illness is relatively mild and the bacteria that cause it are quite fragile.

Have you asked your vet?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest onlymrsp

Yep, the diagnosis came from the vet along with medication, but no instructions regarding quarentine conditions or contamination or gestation period. The feces is being picked up along with the soil, then the area is treated with clorox and water. But how long will this go on? Once the poop is hard again? What about other dogs drinking from the same bowl? Maybe these are questions for the vet tomorrow. Only thought if someone else lived through this with their pup....

Guest RooCroo
Yep, the diagnosis came from the vet along with medication, but no instructions regarding quarentine conditions or contamination or gestation period. The feces is being picked up along with the soil, then the area is treated with clorox and water. But how long will this go on? Once the poop is hard again? What about other dogs drinking from the same bowl? Maybe these are questions for the vet tomorrow. Only thought if someone else lived through this with their pup....

I would guess a food borne pathogen wouldn't be transmitted through common water sources. Transmission may only be through infected food, but I would be careful of contact with poop residue. When "stomach flu" goes around our school, we are advised that transmission is from feces-to hand-to mouth contact. We wash hands and Lysol the doorknobs, etc. Seems to me getting rid of the poop and disinfecting anything that comes in contact with it (including washing the infected dog's behind and the hair around it frequently) would minimize the risk.

When one of our crew has an intestinal bug, our vet recommends disinfecting until the poop is normal, and for three to five days after.

Guest Energy11

My 80 yr old mother had this! She was VERY sick,... VERY bad diarrhea and vomiting. Had to be in the hospital for a few days. She was okay, though, but, her doc said it was from contaminated chicken. Good Luck with this!

Guest onlymrsp

Have no idea how this started. The pup is not on any chicken diet, only kibble. But the problem is breaking the chain as it seems to go to his brothers, then back to him. Just a bit concerned, thanx for your help.... Could this spread because of drinking water shared by a dog, or from a stuffie?

Do you have any birdbaths in your yard? Since our dogs used to drink out of one this became the suspect point of origin for the diarrhea that hit them.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest luvdogs

I had this, I got it after we were doing some experiments in biology, looking at pathogens, bacteria, fungi, etc, under microscopes. I guess I wasn't as careful as I should have been and contaminated myself. I know I didn't get it from poultry, as I am a vegetarian, so the dr was pretty sure I got it from one of the petri dishes we were looking at. I was extremely sick, had to go to the hospital in the middle of the night. Sorry I can't help you further, as it was several years ago and I can't remember all the details, but I will never forget how ill I was. Hope it clears up quickly and you can find your source.

Guest onlymrsp

No birdbaths, but I think there was a kiddie pool that the dogs used to beat the summer heat. Maybe that is the source???? Good thought. Maybe the dog either drank from the pool or picked it up from another dog that had it? I'll have to bring that up in a conversation. Thanks.