Is There Such A Thing As A Dog "facial"?

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

I've been looking at Angler's stomach a lot lately, what with the big blotches on it (seems to be bruises, they are fading!) and I realized that my anti-blackhead ministrations have not been terribly effective. I use a hot compress and then wipe with witch hazel - squeezing isn't really an option because he Does Not Like That. Is there a dog spa treatment I can do or something? As a dedicated picker all of those blackheads are BUGGING ME.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Yeah I'm having trouble with Buzz's giant patch on his chest too so I'll be interested to see what remedies others use.

I've not tried this on a dog, but have used it on myself...clean and clear sells a blackhead eraser...basically it's a little battery powered thing that vibrates. You put the medicated (salycylic acid) pads on it and get them a little damp, turn it on, and gently massage it over your face. It has worked for me. I think the idea is it gently buffs away surface crud to help the blackheads get to the surface and go away.

When you're done applying it you just rinse and towel dry.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

With my fosters, I don't pick/squeeze at these because it's easy to cause an infection. But, if it is pretty bad then I will put a warm (NOT hot) compress on for a few minutes and then put some bacitracin/neosporin ointment on the area and massage lightly in small circles with my fingers. What usually happens is that the soft rubbing causes some of the black stuff to come out.

Guest RocketDog

I don't know how well this would work on greyhounds, but with my departed Chinese Crested we did yogurt/honey treatments. After applying a warm compress to the area to soften stuff up, we'd take a mixture of plain yogurt and honey (like a tablespoon of each, mixed together and warmed up to body temperature) and smear it over the skin. Let it sit for a few minutes then start gently massaging the area. The blackheads that are closest to the surface should start coming out the first time you do it, but it can take a few weeks of treatments every 3-4 days to start seeing a big improvement. Neither of my greys have developed blackheads so I don't know how well it would work, but it can't hurt to try, right?

Edited by RocketDog

Guest Dillymom
As a dedicated picker all of those blackheads are BUGGING ME.

:hehe I'm the same way...but my girls let me pick and squeeze them.

We call it monkey love in my house :)