Newbie Grey Adopter

Guest Shoma

Guest Shoma

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to greyhounds. My husband and I are going to adopt an ex-racing greyhound tomorrow, and the kennel manager said she has the perfect one for us, however he is recovering from a "broken central tarsal bone." She said he needed no surgery nor a cast - just restricted activity for 4-6 weeks, which he will complete this weekend. Also he shouldn't be allowed to run in a dog park for another 8 weeks. It doesn't sound like a huge deal, but I am wondering if this injury will cause any long-term problems. Will he develop arthritis in that leg, for example? Also will he need any special care - like medicine, more frequent checkups, therapy, etc? If anyone has any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it!

Guest greytexplorer

Not being the owner of a broke-leg dog, but Mandy has arthritis. She's 12. I think you can expect arthritis in any dog and at any age.

But doesn't every broken bone in a leg require surgery? :dunno

And WELCOME to GT!!!!!! :)

Guest Energy11

Yes, Welcome to GT, and yes, most greys/other dogs, as they get older, get arthritis. WE humans do as well :-(

It should all be fine! Congratulations! D

Not being the owner of a broke-leg dog, but Mandy has arthritis. She's 12. I think you can expect arthritis in any dog and at any age.

But doesn't every broken bone in a leg require surgery? :dunno

And WELCOME to GT!!!!!! :)

No, it would depend on location and severity. Remember a "break" can range from a simple hairline fracture all the way to a hideous compound fracture needing reduction, stabilization, etc. So, on one end you have just crate rest or crate rest + cast and on the other end major orthopedic surgery.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

You might have to keep a closer eye on him as far as exercise vs rest - he might come up lame or limping after an extended play session, for instance. And you will need to be in chrge of telling him when he's had enough. Greys will run and play until they fall over and that's too long!

When you take him to your vet make sure you mention the injury. He may need some pain meds or an anti-inflammatory on an as-needed basis.

Congrats on your new addition! Remember to post pics!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

hooray, shoma! i have nothing to add about the leg, but i can't wait for your man to come home!! you and jason are gonna be so happy!

Heath

The broken tarsal bone (aka broken hock) is a really common injury, most often seen on the right rear leg. It does not affect your dog's ability to be a loving pet. It can result in intermittent lameness, sometimes for life, depending on how bad the fracture is. We've taken in plenty of broken hocks and the vast majority just needed time and rest. One girl came off the hauler with her foot literally dangling from the hock...it looked like it was only being held on by soft tissue - she needed screws and plates. A couple who met her at the Vet's office on the day of her surgery ended up adopting her. I think she still limps a little.

Here's an article by Dr. Suzanne Stack that might shed some light: Hock Fractures

For broken hock dogs we always advise the adopters to start a regimen of joint health supplements (glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM) fairly early in their mature years (6 or 7) and keep it up for life.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest spider9174

My recommendation would be to speak to the vet that did the xrays who evaluated him. This will give you the extent of the injury and you can have your vet call for the xrays and records.

I work with a group that has had a number of broken leg pups come through and I've fostered a few that are on post-surgical rehab.

The only considerations you need to make is to know that he may develop arthritis. This is not much different than most athletes and athletic injuries years later. Depending on the break and what kind of fix was made, he may not do stairs. But a pup that has been just on rest probably had some type of hairline break that didn't need surgical reconstruction or a plate will probably have no visible sign of the break.

My overall feeling is that a break and possible arthritis shouldn't keep you from adopting this dog. IMHO, there are no guarantees whether you adopt a 3 yo with no visible injuries and a 10 yo with an injury. They can still develop other illnesses.