Asia Update #90 - #115 #120

Hot as heck today! what a crappy summer if you can call it summer. So how do you handle that heat in GA? My mothers side is from GA, Fayetteville. I went there a few times when I was young and it was hot and humid! They are all in Tn now.

Let me ask you again, Asia's cough sounds like a honk and ends with a gag. Does that sound like lung mets to you? It never happens when she is standing up, only when she first lays down or just gets up.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VirginiaGreys
Hot as heck today! what a crappy summer if you can call it summer. So how do you handle that heat in GA? My mothers side is from GA, Fayetteville. I went there a few times when I was young and it was hot and humid! They are all in Tn now.

Let me ask you again, Asia's cough sounds like a honk and ends with a gag. Does that sound like lung mets to you? It never happens when she is standing up, only when she first lays down or just gets up.

Can you video tape it on your cell or camera and upload it for us to hear?

I hope it's something that anti-biotics can fix.

Guest Energy11

First of all, I am in the NORTH Georgia MOuntains, so it isn't ever THAT hott! Yes, it is hottt here today, but it will be breaking in a few days. NEVER, EVERY as hottt and horrible was when I lived in Central Florida! My Dad HATES heat like me!

RE: the cough... sooo hard to tell. IF it is lung mets (cancer that has moved to the lungs), yes, exertion could bring on the cough, but so can a viral/bacterial infection. You say there is nothing "frothy" coming up, right? THAT is a good sign... because it is indicative of fluid in the lungs. I'd give the antibiotics time, and don't worry till you have to!

Keep cool! I know your area, well! Hugs! D

there is nothing coming up frothy :) I guess is is antibiotics and see if it goes away OR do the x-ray now or wait to see if the antibiotics stop the cough.

What scares me is that my vet said if it were kennel cough the cough would worsen and quickly.

I will try to catch it on the camera to share.

Thank you all again

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm confused.....I don't mean to sound uncaring or unsympathetic, but instead of playing a guessing game, wouldn't it just be better to run an xray and either rule out the mets and focus on the alternatives, or confirm the mets and prepare yourself from there? I know for myself, the fear of the unknown is always the worst...... :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest IrskasMom

I'm confused.....I don't mean to sound uncaring or unsympathetic, but instead of playing a guessing game, wouldn't it just be better to run an xray and either rule out the mets and focus on the alternatives, or confirm the mets and prepare yourself from there? I know for myself, the fear of the unknown is always the worst...... :grouphug

I agree with above Poster :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

THis is how I see it, I KNOW that lung mets will eventually come, after all she had osteo. I did the amp and chemo and I want her for all the time I can get with her. Now if she has mets there is nothing I can do. do I want to know now that she has mets in her lungs and be in tears every day looking at her knowing her time is near? Some dogs can live longer than others with lung mets. Just seeing one met in her lung will make doom and gloom. Now of course if I even thought she was in pain or uncomfortable I would have the x-rays immediately.

I will give her the antibiotics for a week to see if the cough disapears. If not then I will x-ray.

Don't you know the feeling of "I have to put my dog to sleep soon" feels? :weep

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug Everyone handles it differently. I am so sorry you are in this pain now and hope she bounces back quickly :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest PiagetsMom

Yes, I've known that feeling, more than once. I also know the feeling of relief when an xray shows you that things are not as bad as you may have feared. It seems as though you are worrying now regardless - I was only thinking that an xray would tell you what you need to know. Sending good thoughts your way.

I guess I am 50/50 on this. I want to know and I don't want to know because there is nothing I can do. I emailed my vet this afternoon to tell him that I want the antibiotics.

Guest PhillyPups

Without hearing her cough, who can tell what kind of cough it is?? :dunno Very few of us are vets here, and my vet does not diagnose over the internet by my verbal descriptions. If it was me, I would be asking for the x-ray, that is what I did with my beloved TigerPower.

We are all pet owners, like you, who love our pets. And yes too many of us have faced the feeling "I have to put my dog to sleep soon", we know what it feels like, I, like many here had to make that decision 3 times in one year, and for one who had lung mets. BUT I got the x-ray, and let him go because I loved him way too much to have him suffer just to have him here with me longer. I do not regret the decision I made, I took his physical pain and carry it in my heart continually it is the pain of not having TigerPower here with me.

I understand your turmoil, I have been there. Please step back a minute, breathe in and out, know that many of us have traveled your journey and it sukks, but your comment above ripped through my heart and soul. The only ones that can give you a TRUE diagnosis are those in the medical field who are treating Asia, cause all we have to go on are the pieces you share with us. :bighug.

Praying for the best for Asia

Guest MorganKonaAlex
THis is how I see it, I KNOW that lung mets will eventually come, after all she had osteo.

I understand and have been there. Just wanted to point out that while lung mets eventually is probable, it's not certain. Morgan had 3 years after his amp/chemo and didn't have a recurrence. We lost him to LS at 13 1/2.

Get the chest x-ray.

There are at least a dozen things other than lung problems that can cause a cough. One of them that is common in older dogs is cardiac enlargement. That is something very manageable, but you have to diagnose it to manage it. Diagnosing sooner is a lot better than diagnosing later. For that particular diagnosis, X-ray would show you if heart is enlarged (make sure vet reading x-ray knows the size differentials -- greyhound hearts normally appear to be somewhat elongated), then echocardiogram to gauge heart function.

Have never had a dog with kennel cough that coughed only a little. Kennel cough dogs cough a bunch, as in you and dog will be up most of the night.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I guess I am 50/50 on this. I want to know and I don't want to know because there is nothing I can do. I emailed my vet this afternoon to tell him that I want the antibiotics.

I know exactly how you feel. Sending lots of :grouphug s

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest IrskasMom

A lot of us know that Feeling and traveled this Road before .In other Words it just sukks .I am very Simpathetic for

your Predicament and send you tons of Prayers and gentle Hugs :grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

Audrey, thinking of you and Asia today.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

I had made an appt for an x-ray at 6:30 tonight.

I want to know what is going on and I don't want to know.

I have always done the best I can for my pets. I just do not want to hear she has so many days or weeks :( And that is what I will hear I am sure of it.

Guest PhillyPups
I had made an appt for an x-ray at 6:30 tonight.

I want to know what is going on and I don't want to know.

I have always done the best I can for my pets. I just do not want to hear she has so many days or weeks :( And that is what I will hear I am sure of it.

I learned a very valuable lesson from my Runner, my first. The lesson being that we need to enjoy the journey, not look at the destination, and live in the moment. I lost Runner 2 weeks before his 8th birthday while we were at a M&G, Runner being the picture of a healthy happy dog, doing what he loved most to do. It ripped me to the core, I always thought he would be with me forever. Enjoy your moments. Keep a calendar, mark the good days with a G and the bad days with an X.

No one can tell us exactly how long there is, so enjoy every moment you can with her, that is what I do with the seniors I bring into our home. Love them every moment, so there will never be a regret for a moment lost.

You will be in my prayers and thoughts tonight, although it is a very personal journey, you are not traveling it alone, let us walk by your side and be there for you at all times. :bighug

Guest Energy11

Hey Audrey!

Please keep the most positive thoughts you can, and we will be thinking of you guys later today! REMEMBER, please use my personal email, if you want. I will give you my cell, also ... just let me know.

Love, Dee and The Five