Big D For 5 Days In A Row

Guest candt

Guest candt

ok, first off, i left a message for the vet yesterday, so hopefully they will see us today, but id like peoples ideas of what this might be anyway.

the facts:

-my grey is 11 years old and has been boarded many times before

-she was boarded for 5 days. then my bf picked her up and took care of her in my home.

-great poops for first 2 days back from baroding, then EXPLOSIVE big D

-so friday night she had explosive big d. pure liquid poop for most of saturday. he started her on pumpkin and she gelled up and had more normal poops.

-sunday night had explosive big d again. i got back from trip.

-monday on pumpkin and white rice. gelled up poop.

-monday night and this morning, explosive big D again.

however:

-she is lively and has energy

-she doesnt want her kibble (so i havnt been giving it to her) but still eats the pumpkin and rice with relish.

the big D smells REALLY BAD. my bf says it smells like rotten seafood. there is no blood in it. i have no idea of what color it should be, since shes been eating pumpkin it is orange. but my bf did say at first it was lighter brown.

shes never had liquid big D for so many days in a row.

any ideas what it could be?

i hope it isnt corona or parvo (isnt she too old for that anyway?) because i heard those have no way to treat them.

Needs to see a vet and get some meds.

Could be hookworms, could just be a virus.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like she may have picked up, either a parasite or infection at the vets. I have seen that many times when I was kennel manager at my vets. The dogs all share the same outdoor runs, and even ONE dogs has worms or an infection, the other dogs can get it. WE bleached our runs daily, but it happens.

I'd get a poop sample to the vets today, if possible. Good Luck!

Guest candt

any other specific guesses other than hookworm?

also, if i do have to pay a big vet bill for this, think i should contact the boarding place to see if they will help or anything? or they will probably say it could have happened anywhere, right?

but if it something i will let them know so they can super clean those areas.

Guest koolaidnconner

Sounds like hookworms. That is what Conner started with when he got hookworms. Get to a vet ASAP, you don't want to leave that. I would just let the kennel know so they can clean up anything they may need to do as hook works as pretty contagious.

Guest Heehoo
Needs to see a vet and get some meds.

Could be hookworms, could just be a virus.

Keep her hydrated, get her in to see the vet asap.

Given how close this occurrence is to the boarding, it's likely that she picked up something at the kennel. As mentioned earlier, it could be a virus and/or worms and getting her to the vet along with a stool sample is the first step.

Also, talk with the vet and see if this is something that could have been picked up a the kennel and if yes, contact the kennel and see if they will pick up sme of the vet charges (hopefully, they will offer to pick up the complete cost).

If this is a business that kennels dogs, they should be cleaning the runs between every dog that goes in the run and then after the "let-outs" they should be using some solution (like bleach) to hose down the floors. If they don't have "concrete runs" and instead have the small stones in an outdoor type run, it's hard to keep them cleaner.

she can get hookworms even tho she is on interceptor?

Yes. Interceptor does kill them, but it does not stay in the dog's body the entire month. More like a couple days after the dosage is given. So if the dog is exposed after the dose is done working, she will run the chance of getting hooks.

In addition, I would not rely of Interceptor to treat, if it is confirmed that she has them. It's fine do do if there is no confirmed case (like a monthly wormer), but not if she has them. In that case, you need three days of Panacur, three days again in three weeks, then three days again in another three weeks. Then test again. Hooks can be ridiculously tough to get rid of. But the good news is that Panacur is not that expensive, nor should the fecal float be.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Energy11

I would say, any type of worm is possible, a bacterial or viral infection, and possibly ...

Giardia is very prevalent in feline and canine diarrhea cases,

Will the boarding kennel help toward the vet bills? Hard to say. Even though most kennels, including mine, are USUALLY cleaned on to two times daily with disinfectants and bleach, it is impossible to kill everything.

My vet/former employer, WOULD give free fecals and meds IF he thought the dogs/cats picked up "whatever" in our kennel. (but the kennel was part of the vet's, too)

Good Luck!

Guest sja5032

My guess would be giardia as well with the recent stay in the boarding kennel, worms are also an option. I would head to the vet for a stool sample.

This sounds like giardia to me. When I picked up my Lab as a puppy (over 12 years ago now), she had the same thing. A couple of doses of flagyl (metronidazole) and the big D was under control. Heading to the vet with a poop sample sounds like your best next move. Good luck! I still remember that smell, even after 12 years!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest candt

ok, this is a bit frustrating, but whatever.

my regular vet is on vacation, so i got an appt with a fill in vet who isnt usually in the practice.

she was convinced that it was stress related (even tho my grey has never had stress diarrhea this long PLUS the poop smells SO BAD which has never happened before) but she gave me flagyl pills anyway (375 mg twice a day) so hopefully that will help.

i mean, my grey usually gets better when she eats canned pumpkin for a day or two, so this is really weird that it has lasted so long. plus the horrible smell...can that really happen with stress colietis?

I'm not sure if it would be stress or not, but dogs can get much more easily stressed as they age. While she's always been fine in the past, it could be that it isn't as stress-free for her now as it used to be. Maybe her hearing isn't as good, or her eyesight, or even arthritis...all of these things can make a stay more stressful.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

After five days, irritable bowel syndrome can easily start.

My guess is stress from boarding.

Greyhound Gang has info at LEARN, MEDICAL.

Diarrhea

Many natural ways to help. Slippery Elm, Acidolphilus, plus fasting, then bland foods.

I find holistic vets very helpful with this situation.

List of Holistic Vets.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

With colitis doesn't the poo get really jelly like? I know sounds gross but it's the only way I can reference it.

I wouldn't think worms with having the explosive D that soon after her stay. I don't think those worms can work that fast ;)

Giardia, this I would think is high on the list

Here is some info

Most infections with Giardia are asymptomatic. In the rare cases in which disease occurs, younger animals are usually affected, and the usual sign is diarrhea. The diarrhea may be acute, intermittent, or chronic. Usually the infected animals will not lose their appetite, but they may lose weight. The feces are often abnormal, being pale, having a bad odor, and appearing greasy. In the intestine, Giardia prevents proper absorption of nutrients, damages the delicate intestinal lining, and interferes with digestion.

found HERE

If she is on Flagyl now that is one of the drugs to treat Giardia, so you might be covered without the vet even thinking about it.

Flagyl should firm her up and take care of any nasties if in fact it is Giardia.

Guest candt

heather, thats what i am hoping.

also, im giving her pumpkin and rice and boiled chicken.

would it be bad to mix in plain organic yogurt too?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Sure couldn't hurt anything :)

I would say if it doesn't clear up in a few days after being on the flagyl ask the vet for some Panacure. That way it's a 1-2 punch :)

Hope this clears up and :goodluck for firm poop!

Guest Energy11

I always add plain yogert if mine have the "Big D!" Good Luck!