Broken Toe?

Guest Greytnorth

Guest Greytnorth

My short bus special, Elsa, was out in our yard yesterday chasing bugs and anything else that moves when she started to limp. Elsa previously broke a back outside toe when she was on the track. The toe healed crooked at the time and sticks out at an odd angle. Well yesterday when we were out in the yard, she may have caught the toe on something. I brought her back in the house, any tried to check where the damage was at and when manipulating the previously broken toe, I could feel something grinding. Needless to say, Elsa was not impressed with me.

We live in a community with no permanent vet (our closest vet is 2 1/2 hours away) but it just happens that the visiting vet is in town tomorrow so I have her booked in to see him. My question to the GT's is, is there anything else that I can do for my poor girl until the vet visit? I've already wrapped the foot with vet wrap (with cotton balls between the toes to prevent hot spots) to immobilize the toe. Is there any safe over the counter pain killers that I can giver her and what dosage? She's helping my out by elevating the foot (she's roached on the couch right now) :wub:

As per the rules, a picture of my silly girl.

IMG_0389.jpg

You can give her plain aspirin, no Tylenol, Excedrin, etc. Some people use baby aspirin, I like Ascription if you can get it, it's a little easier on her tummy. When Molly broke her toe on Thanksgiving :rolleyes: ), I gave her one Ascription until we saw the doctor the next day.

Guest kydie

Beautiful girs, Yep ASA, I know there is a "dog" ASA on the market, I keep it here at all times, I think I got it from Omaha Vaccine, Hope she is better soon!

Guest BatesieGreys

Make sure that the aspirin, if you get it, is buffered and NOT enteric coated. From what I understand, dogs don't have the enzyme to break down the enteric coating so it does them no good and doesn't protect their tummies. Good luck tomorrow.

Guest KennelMom

Are you sure it's broken? Or is it possibly just dislocated? Are you sure the old track injury was a break or was it just a bad dislocation? Dislocated toes often heal at wonky angles, depending on how well the toe stayed in place during the healing process and how much scar tissue grew.

Grinding (crepitus) in a previously injured joint is pretty normal.

eta: you can give something mild for pain, but you really want an anti-inflammatory. You can also soak the foot in cold water for the first 48 hours or so, several times a day to minimize swelling. I don't wrap feet or toes and neither do most vets we work with. You especially don't want to be wrapping if you don't know how you are setting the toe or what's going on in there.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Greytnorth

Thanks for all the advise. Elsa decided that she didn't like the wrap around her toe so while I way out of the house picking up aspirin, she pulled off the wrap. As per Kennelmom's post, I'll leave it unwrapped. She seems more comfortable with it off anyway as the toe is non-weight bearing. As for the previous injury, I don't know if it was a break or dislocation. I do know that it never looked like the other toes. I don't think the toe is dislocated. Our other dog Ruby dislocated one of her toes last summer so I know what that looks like. I'm not sure if this is a sprain or a break but we should be finding out tomorrow. I've talked to the vet already so he should be arriving in town with some anti inflammatories for her.

Thank you for all the advice and I'll keep you posted!!