Licking Incision After Surgery

Guest wjamg

Guest wjamg

Peace had surgery today and is still very drowsy and nauseous from the anestesia. When she becomes more alert/active, whats the best way to keep her from licking the incision? will her muzzle work or do I need to get one of the collar type things?

and she has absolutely no interest in food, she hasn't eaten since yesterday afternoon at 4:00, is this alright? it just seemed like she had a much easier time after her dental.

Peace had surgery today and is still very drowsy and nauseous from the anestesia. When she becomes more alert/active, whats the best way to keep her from licking the incision? will her muzzle work or do I need to get one of the collar type things?

and she has absolutely no interest in food, she hasn't eaten since yesterday afternoon at 4:00, is this alright? it just seemed like she had a much easier time after her dental.

There are several things Muzzles work for some with the end covered like with a poop cup. If a shirt will cover the area use one. Im not sure what type of surgery so not sure what to sugest.

edited to add: I just read it is in the anal area. shirt wont work. You could try boxers backwards (tail out the slit)

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Pain meds and antibiotics (among other drugs) can knock back an appetite, too. It may improve with time, or you may need to give additional meds (OTC or prescription), or change the drugs used.

Give the t-shirt a whirl if it's abdominal or thoracic.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

A bite-not collar might be a good idea - she can still nudge around the area with a muzzle. Keeping a collar on a dog is harder on you than the dog because it looks (and probably is) somewhat uncomfortable, but in the long run, is way, way easier on the dog than repairing torn stitches / infections from licking.

Maybe you could use a muzzle (with cup) at times when she has someone with her who can interrupt any attention she is trying to pay to the incision, and the collar at night or other times when no one is with her.

Guest Energy11

The anesthesia will make her nauseous and sluggish. She will probably be feeling better later today. I like the t-shirt, or boxer idea to keep her away from the incision, too. A muzzle with tape on the end or a poop cup works too. Good Luck, and I hope si is better soon!