Stroke Or Vestibular Syndrome

Dylan had an "episode" about 7 weeks ago. It looked like a stroke (couldn't walk, knuckling under on the right side, circling etc.) but today we went to a new vet and he suggested it might have been Vestibular Syndrome....He recovered extremely well within a week. He is on a half of 81mg aspirin a day in case it was a stroke. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? The vet at the clinic we took him to immediately after the episode just became a vet and she was completely overwhelmed. Now I'm confused tonight...

Guest Energy11

Unfortunately, you really cannot tell without an MRI. I STILL wish I could afford to get one for Curfew, who was diagnosed with a "brain tumor ..." presumed, ... of course, without an MRI.

Good Luck! From the sound of it, I'd say a stroke. Hugs and prayers from us to you!

Guest greytfulhounds

One of my female hounds, Kitty, had what the vet called a Vestibular Episode back in May. She went out for last turnout and when she came back up the ramp she was stumbling, dragging her foot, circling & her eyes were slightly rolled sideways. I thought for sure she was having a stroke but by morning she was completely fine. I took her to the vet who did a through exam (no MRI) and said that there was slight inflammation and a wax plug deep inside her left ear.......she worked & worked to get rid of the plug and put some medication in her ear for the inflammation. Apparently it is the inflammation in the ear that causes the Vestibular Episode? And, more common in an older dog......Kitty is 10 years old. Keeping fingers crossed, but so far we have not had another episode.

Did you check for high blood pressure? Pearl had a TIA (mini stroke). Her BP was 280. She is already on meds for heart disease and hypertension, so the stroke was definitely in the forefront of her episode.

If it's high, it most probably was a stroke and she'll need meds to bring the BP down.

No, we did not have his blood pressure checked. We were in such a panic at the time, I didn't even think to ask them to do it. Is blood pressure something they normally do?? I've never seen a blood pressure cuff at a vet. Just wondering...

Apparently it is the inflammation in the ear that causes the Vestibular Episode?

That makes perfect sense if you think about it with people. Ear infections are known to cause Vertigo

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Heehoo
Unfortunately, you really cannot tell without an MRI. I STILL wish I could afford to get one for Curfew, who was diagnosed with a "brain tumor ..." presumed, ... of course, without an MRI.

Good Luck! From the sound of it, I'd say a stroke. Hugs and prayers from us to you!

Snowy did the same thing & my vet told me without an MRI (about $1,000) you can't really tell. You can treat the symptoms. Snowy was 13 when she had her first one, and 5 months later she had another one....the 2nd one she never quite recovered from & I had her put to sleep a month later due to some physical problems she was having due to age, recovered broken hock & the stroke. He told me it could have been a brain tumor.

Snowy's symptoms, if this helps, staggering at first, head bobbing, tilted slightly to the left, her eyes were not flickering, back legs weak. But remember, she was 13. After 3 days she was well enough to come home, jump on the couch & eat her dinner. But the first 2 days, she had to have assistance for everything.