Staples On Face, Hates The Cone. Alternatives?

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

Sol had a small tumor removed from the side of his nose last tuesday. Five days later on Sunday, he ripped the sutures out so today (monday) I took him back to the vet. This time they stapled it and gave me a cone for him to wear. I just got home with him and he's freaking out about the cone. I have to get the collar very snug to keep him from just sliding it off. Not sure how that's supposed to work when the dogs head is the same size as their neck but anyway....

The placement of the wound precludes the use of the muzzle, it would be directly in contact with it. Are there any alternatives to the cone and tight collar? I'm not very comfortable with how tight the collar has to be to keep the cone on. Thanks

Guest Flint

If he's using his paw to bother the wound, maybe you could put a sock on that foot? Or maybe he just needs time to get used to the cone.

They make soft cones that seem to be a little less offensive to some dogs. The only problem with them is that they can flip "inside out", thus becoming ineffective. But it may be worth a try. I don't remember any more where to get them, but hopefully someone else will have a link for you.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Energy11

Really, where the wound it, I'd also say, the cone has to stay, but, yes, maybe a softer type might work. Also, I love the socks on the feet idea. Good Luck! What a pain, literally and figuratively!

If he's using his paw to bother the wound, maybe you could put a sock on that foot? Or maybe he just needs time to get used to the cone.

This is what I would try as well

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I found these alternatives to cones...the problem is that most of the cones are designed to keep the dog's mouth away from the wound on the body, not to keep a paw away from the face. This one, the Hagar collar, looked most promising as it can be cut into a shape that could work.

Text & links from a website I found:

The RuffTuff Soft E-Collar is a lightweight foam pillow covered with a durable vinyl. It's easily cleaned and won't stain. The pillow passes over your dog's head and ties around the neck with a drawstring.

The Comfy Cone is made by All Four Paws. It's collapsible, foldable, yet rigid and strong. It can even be folded back so your dog can eat or drink. Here are some reviews.

Trimline makes a "soft recovery collar". But it seems rather thin and less durable than some of the others. Probably better for cats than dogs.

Hagar Collars are multi-sized and adjustable. See how Hagar Collars work (if you can get past all the *flashing* text on their pages! ...too hard on my eyes)

The ProCollar by G&B Marketing has an inflatable inner bladder that is protected by a pliable plastic outer jacket lined with a durable canvas material to resist your dog's bites and scratches. Seems a tad bulky around the neck to me. They do have a slew of testimonials.

BiteNot Products makes the BiteNot Collar which is a flexible plastic and foam collar that is washable.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

When Fiona had a wound on her face about a month ago, it ran along her jaw line and included a drain & numerous stitches. To keep her from scratching at it (as the cone was not an option for us), we put a baby sock over her foot, secured it with wide vet wrap & then kept that in place with adhesive tape. It worked like a charm. I have several baby socks for use with dog wounds so when it got dirty I just put on a clean one.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Not sure this will work for the type of wound, but when my first grey was bitten by a tied up little cocker spaniel while on a walk (out of town), the local vet took a towel and folded it the width of my grey's neck ... he wrapped it TIGHTLY around her neck and secured it to itself with duck tape.

A very inexpensive soft collar ... but it served its purpose well.

Not sure it would keep little paws away from the face, though ... maybe combined with the socks-on-paws?

good luck!!!

Guest PhillyPups

I would sock the foot and give him time to get used to the cone. It is hard and heartbreaking to watch but I have to remind myself that our greys hate change and can be so very dramatic about it!!