Puncture Bottom Of Paw (not On Pads)

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

We were in Illinois this weekend at my parents', DH and I, both kids, 2 birds and 4 hounds.

Saturday evening, Zippy got a puncture in the bottom of her paw deep in the middle between where all the pads connect during an altercation with Spinner over a squirrel looking at them through a window. At first it seemed minor, no major bleeding, so I cleaned and bandaged it. But at 10pm when we took her out for potty, it began bleeding badly through the bandages. Took her to an e-vet at 10:30pm

He shaved and cleaned it, opted not to staple or suture it because he'd have to knock her out to do it, due to the tender spot it is in. Gave her a shot of Cephalexin (plus pills to take home) and said we should be ok unless it starts gushing through the bandages he put on, but not to worry if a little blood comes through.

Now we're home and I do have an appt with our vet for 1:20 today (Monday). The bandage has oozed blood constantly since it was put on, not fast, but consistantly. She can barely walk on it and I'm feeling very frustrated. Haven't changed it as the vet said to leave it on 2-3 days and also I'm afraid if I take it off, it'll start bleeding more.

Zippy takes Clomipramine all storm season, and we were told Tramadol and Clomipramine together can cause seizures, so she also has no pain relief.

Any ideas I can suggest to my vet if they don't bring up good solutions themselves today? I'm a basketcase over my poor old girl. she was just in twice in the last week or so for staples on her side (same area; she ripped it open again as soon as the first set of staples were removed) and is so scared of the vet at this point.

How do you stop bleeding in a spot like that with a puncture wound? How do you get it to heal?

My nerves are probably a little frayed just from the trip etc... It's always such a circus.

Edited by SusanP

Guest Energy11

BAD spot for a wound, as you know! Giving Deramaxx or Rimadyl, might work, BUT, I would call the vet first, as both can increase bleeding by thinning the blood.

I would get some TODDLER SOCKS and put them on her foot ... maybe double, to help with cushioning and the pressure for the bleeding. Also, a Bootie if you have one, over that.

Other than that, the antibiotics are the right ones, and you are on the right track.

Sorry this had to happen... Good Luck!

Your vet might opt to debride and stitch. If he/she does, ask if it can be done under a local instead of general anaesthetic. You'll have to deal with getting a pup with a novocained foot home -- not always as much fun as it sounds like -- but less stressful on the dog's system.

If it's on the deep side, vet might opt to leave it open so it can still drain, which you want deeper wounds to do. Ask about a tetanus shot.

If it's not so deep, might be able to glue it.

Foot things can be difficult because the foot spreads out when the dog puts weight on it. But they do heal eventually. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

I know from personal experience how very painful a novocaine injection in the foot is; I'd rather have her knocked out. Sometimes they just do a quick injection that they reverse with another injection when xrays or other short procedures are over. What is the med they use to do this?

I bought toddler socks to fit over the bandages on the way home from the e-vet at midnight. She bleeds through them, though slowly.

I'll ask about Tetanus--didn't realize dogs got that. We think the puncture was made by either Spinner's tooth or claw as they fought--Zippy attacks with her claws around his shoulders, typically, so they were up in the air coming at him. They were moving too fast for me to see just what was happening. It was a very short scuffle, and they stopped when I hollered at them.

How can it ever heal when it keeps spreading open? What kind of glue can they use?

Edited by SusanP

Guest kydie

I use super glue here, after cleaning, but the area has to be dry to use it, it is called medical glue in the E.R. for people, I sure the vet will have an idea Good Luck

I know from personal experience how very painful a novocaine injection in the foot is; I'd rather have her knocked out. Sometimes they just do a quick injection that they reverse with another injection when xrays or other short procedures are over. What is the med they use to do this?

Domitor and Antisedan is the med combo for that.

For something small, it's the debriding/cleaning that'll hurt worst.

Wrapping the foot can help keep it from spreading out so much that it breaks open every time. Can take awhile to heal a foot thing, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BiancasMom

I agree if it continues to bleed through the bandage you should just have her sedated and have it debrided and sutured closed. It is a hard area to heal and is probably getting constant motion and impeding healing hence all the bleeding. As long as she is other wise healthy, the domitor/antisedan combo would probably be the quickest sedation technique to use. The local sounds good too but is very painful. Depending on the dog you can also just give an injection of a strong pain med (buprenorphine, hydromorphone, sometimes even butorphanol but not much pain control there) and then use the local and the dog just lays there. However, you cannot reverse the effects and she may be quite groggy for some time aftewards. You should have gotten Deramaxx or Rimadyl from the E-vet. Can't believe they sent a greyhound home without any pain meds! I hope she feels better soon!

Guest SusanP

I assumed they didn't give her a Rimadyl etc due to the bleeding she was having, and since Tramadol isn't a good combo with her Clomipramine, I kind of thought pain meds were out. The vet never even mentioned it... DH and I were both there but neither of us was feeling terribly smart at 11pm after dealing with a drunken family member, dogfight and subsequent injury, trying to hold our poor shaking girl so she wouldn't jump off the $%^&* table they made us put her up on. I confess I was nervous about the vet, too, as office felt kind of a creepy --not very clean looking ,vet and assistant who barely spoke, woman who'd just had dog put down sobbing in the hall as she left, dark, silent, and way past my usual 9pm bedtime... thought if we could get her by til we got home it'd be better. I'm still rather shaken by all this and hoping our vet will get us back on the right track.