Walking Strange

Guest greyaspet

Guest greyaspet

I took my two boys to a park tonight and met up with a friend and her three greyhounds. We walk this park a lot. We got about half way around and my 11 year old boy started to walk sideways. His front end was going straight but his hind quarters where walking sideways. We got off the road and my friend said go get your car I will hold Sebastian. At this poing his hind end collasped and he went down. I took my other boy and made it to my car as quickly as I could. When I got back Sebastian seemed fine. He was walking normal, jumped into my car and when we got home he went out backing and was running. I was and still am afraid.

Any ideas about this? This is a first for me.

Sheila

You might want to have him checked out. It could have been a mini stroke, especially at his age.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GentleHugs

I'd have him checked by your vet as soon as possible - especially because of his age. It could be a number of things such as a stroke, lumbosacral stenosis (LS), Wobbler's (disc problems in the neck), etc. Then again he could have been extremely tired, too.

My Heisman was diagnosed with Wobbler's at age 8 (almost 9) which caused him to collapse in the rear end one day out of the blue. I rushed him into our vet and after several tests, they discovered a bad disc in his neck. He lived until he was 12 1/2 but there were times he had to go on bedrest and be put on prednisone to ease the swelling of the disc against his spinal cord.

I'd take him in to be checked just to be on the safe side and to ease the worry.

Ditto what the others said. Could also be vestibular disorder.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Yes, DEFINITELY vet him. Sounds like a mini stroke, which can lead to a major stroke... it is like a warning signal. Also could be a few other things. Good Luck! Prayers from here.

Guest paulamariez

Also, make sure he is hydrated. Bueller would get dizzy and walk like he was drunk, bump into things and get disoriented. He would not drink enough water and we had to take him in to the vet to get him rehydrated. Sending prayers for your Sebastian.

Pearl did something similar in Jan, AND her eyes were racing back and forth. I thought vestibular at first but decided just to let her cardiologist know. It had lasted only seconds. Maybe 1/2 minute at most.

The cardiologist told us to come in NOW.

Turns out it was a TIA (also called mini stroke) and that her BP was 280. I know she has a BP problem but we thought it was under control.

So, not only go to a vet, but get the BP checked. So many dogs have high BP and no one knows it until it's too late.

Good luck Sheila. I hope it was nothing major and easily fixable

PS...Pearl is also 11.

Guest Energy11
Pearl did something similar in Jan, AND her eyes were racing back and forth. I thought vestibular at first but decided just to let her cardiologist know. It had lasted only seconds. Maybe 1/2 minute at most.

The cardiologist told us to come in NOW.

Turns out it was a TIA (also called mini stroke) and that her BP was 280. I know she has a BP problem but we thought it was under control.

So, not only go to a vet, but get the BP checked. So many dogs have high BP and no one knows it until it's too late.

Good luck Sheila. I hope it was nothing major and easily fixable

PS...Pearl is also 11.

Yes, DO have the blood pressure checked! I never knew Curfew had it, either, BUT, it does explain the stroke last year in Sept, and the mini-strokes, which started last Feb. He is on 20 mg of Enalapril a day, and I take his BP at him with an infant BP cuff.

Good Luck with everything! Hugs from the N. Ga Mts!