Very Hostile When Trying To Remove Bandage

Guest 20PawsinAlaska

Guest 20PawsinAlaska

Layla suffered a minor cut to her a toe and an even smaller cut at her dew claw on the other paw while lure coursing 2 days ago. We cleaned and wrapped both. She protested some but let us work on her.

The next day she was limping. DH went to remove the bandage to inspect and Layla was VERY unhappy about it. He muzzled her and was able to get 1 paw un-bandaged. The cut looks fine, very minor and is not bleeding. Once the bandage was off she stopped limping.

Her other paw is still bandaged. She won't even let me point to that foot much less unwrap it. She is running, going up stairs, playing with toys and does not appear to be bothered by the foot unless someone thinks about touching it. I sustained a pretty decent blow to the nose last night w/ her muzzle while I was trying to remove the bandage. I'm positive there's no other injuries.

Is she being dramatic? Has anyone else had this happen? She will not let us touch either of her front feet and was never like that before. Will she get over this? I'm worried we'll never be able to dremel or trim her nails again. The girl is downright hostile. Looking for others that have had similar experience or have words of encouragement. I"m worried about my sweet girl. :unsure

Can you try a peanut butter distraction? Put the PNB on the inside of her muzzle. Worth a try.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I went through that every time I had to take a bandage off Misty's feet, and she was the same when I tried to do her nails. She just did not want me messing with her feet, however with removing the bandages, I knew she hurt.

I just muzzled her, had a friend come and help me and I cut the bandages off

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Heck! ... Goldie will NOT let me even cut her nails! I have tried the muzzle, peanut butter, treats, etc. .... BUT, do NOT TOUCH her feet! She will be NINE in Dec, but, I fear, we will have to have her sedated AGAIN to cut those nails! :-(((

I KNOW what you are going through! ... I would let the vet handle it! Goldie literally ATTACKS US when we touch her feet! :-(((

Guest greydogluvr

I have two princesses that are very dramatic. I muzzle have to one to even try to approch her with the nail clippers. The other lets out a GSOD if I try to hold her paw to trim. Gotta love their headstrong attitudes!!!! Well sometimes...

I am glad to know it is not just me, but am sorry you are going through this, too.

Tornado is the same way. Good as gold any other time (mostly), but touch his feet to remove a bandage,

and he goes bananas. I've tried everything to get him to chill, but nothing seems to work. Wish I had

some advice for you. It's tough to see them be so fearful.

2wck1zc.jpg

Guest Energy11

I HATE having to sedate her JUST to cut her nails! I cut nails as part of my vet job. I NEVER "quicked" Goldie, but, all of a sudden ... she literally ATTACKS us if we even TRY those nails! IT is a HUGE stressor, to be sure!

Only 2 tricks I know, which you might already be doing:

If the bandage involves sticky tape on the dog's skin/fur, try to minimize that. I don't like more than @ 1/2" of sticky tape on the dog's skin.

If you're trying to unwrap, get some blunt-nosed bandage scissors and try cutting it off instead (careful! I stick my finger under the bandage along the scissor blade to make sure I'm not catching any dog skin in there).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 20PawsinAlaska

Great tips and stories. Husband is fishing till tomorrow. I'm going to wait till he gets back, load the muzzle w/some PB and then we'll work togethr try to cut the d*mn thing off.

It was just shocking to see my angel face trying to bite my head off like a crazy hyenia because I glanced at her foot. :(

Guest Energy11

I KNOW the feeling, and KNOW the look!!!!!!!!! Goldie is "all teeth, " if we just touch her feet! GOOD LUCK! We feel your pain!

Guest greymama002

We also have a foot drama boy! Ruffie had a small tumor removed from his foot & was bandaged for a couple of weeks. It was a 2 person job for us indeed! We'd assemble everything we would need first. Then I'd get the muzzle on him & start slipping in tiny treats while holding him from running away. My husband would cut off the old bandage & get the new one on, while I kept giving the treats. It was an ordeal that I'm sure I could not manage alone. I have to say though that he gets very calm when the muzzle comes on , I think because he knows he gets a constant supply of treats, so nail clipping usually goes pretty smoothly. If he ever needs a bandage again, we will certainly try the peanut butter!

Good Luck!

Guest kydie

If is stuck to her hair, can you put her foot, or all four feet in water,( might make her feel safer) that will loosen the bandage, once it is wet, it may just slide off

• 11 years later...

My tiny pup Hecate got blood work and bleed a bit after so they bandaged it and told us to take it off when she gets home. She just wants nothing to do with it and tries to hide it now. She is a wiggler which makes it hard. Chihuahuas are fiesty!

Edited by ChiMama