Greta Sick Again!

Second time in less than 3 weeks! (last time it was bacterial). This time I'm really paying attention and will do my best to keep her hydrated and see if we can manage without a trip to the e-vet this weekend. I'm boiling chicken and plan to give her a little broth in water instead of food for 24 hours. Currently, she is perky and is drinking just fine. And of course, if she becomes lethargic or in any distress we will be off to the e-vet asap.

Last time, rice and yogurt did her no good that I could see--they just went right through. She didn't really recover until I put her back on her regular food. She has very touchy digestion.

Guest kydie

Hope your pup is better fast, what could this be? Do you think this a continuance of the bacterial infection? When one of my pups had this he was on medication for about 6 weeks, is she still on meds?

Edited by kydie

Greta was on meds for only 5 days, and I know of 3 other dogs in the neighborhood that have also had it, so she may have the same thing again. Or maybe the weather change has stressed her system, or maybe she ate something outside--she snaps at insects quite a lot and has been stung a few times lately...who knows. This time I will try boiled chicken with the rice, but normally she is on a special fish and potato dog food due to allergies, so I'm leery of experimenting too much.

Guest paulamariez

Big D! Welcome to my world. We have been fighting a small intestinal bacterial infection with our three dogs since March. They had to take antibiotics for like three weeks and are still getting B-12 shots once a week. We couldn't get Tiger cleared up and finally the vet had us change his diet saying that he may have developed a food sensitivity during the illness. Sure enough, we switched Tiger from Fromm Chicken a la Veg to Wellness Simple Solutions Venison and Rice and he has been going normal since! We had to switch him to a one novel protein source and one easily digestible carbohydrate (low antigen diet, the vet called it). Might be worth checking into if the looseness problems continued. I swore up and down when the vet said we had to change Tiger's food. I thought there was NO way Tiger had food allergies. Now my foot is in my mouth because I was obviously wrong. I felt bad that we didn't switch sooner, for poor Tiger's sake. Poor guy was dumping his food straight out after eating it! Plus the sewer gas farts he blessed us with! OMG! The gas was the first thing to go and improve and the poops followed. Hugs and doggie kisses to your Greta! I love that name by the way, I grew up with three German Shepherds named Greta I, II and III! My parents liked the name and refused to change it!!

paulamariez--thanks for sharing your experience. Greta loves water with broth, but is puking it up. Regurgitating food is not unusual for her, so I'm not too concerned as long as some stays down to hydrate her. She also brought up some grass--she is "starving" and was sneakily gobbling grass every time I let her out in the wee hours this morning. She apparently has a number of allergies and food has always been a problem for her--I don't usually let people even give her dog treats. She came with the name--it was her track name, and my husband is of German extraction, so we thought it was meant to be!

Greta was on meds for only 5 days,

Not long enough. For something bacterial, you really want dog-is-back-to-normal PLUS 5 days.

If she's got diarrhea AND throwing up, should see a vet.

Fingers crossed she's better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Yes, I'd see a vet, too, because of dehydration and they obviously didn't get all of the bacteria. Maybe try giving 1/2 Gatorade and 1/2 water to her, to help replace her electrolytes.

Good Luck!

If it is three weeks after the first treatment, it could be a worm of some sort. I know that when Enza had hookworms and when she had giardia, I had to use panacur once - then follow up three weeks later. I thought it was sort of weird, but at three weeks on the spot, she had the D again.

Greta definitely had a substantial bacterial infection the first time. Vomiting right after eating is par-for-the-course for her if she ingests anything--even any dog food--that she isn't used to. She does have something weird with her digestion anyway--she often doesn't digest the food in her stomach for up to 12 hours. I'm not saying she doesn't need to go to the vet! I'm just trying to keep her comfortable till I can take her to the vet who knows her tomorrow. I'm not too happy to hear that she should have had a longer course of antibiotics--I'm a firm believer in making sure they do their job because the potential consequences of leaving a few germs to mutate is not a joke. I will try the gatorade, too--I hope she likes lemon-lime :lol: ! Tonight I'm giving her a little potato instead of rice with chicken. I don't think she tolerates rice well. She never has trouble with baked potato treats that I make for her.

Oh good!

Jane, I've heard of a lot of vets giving just 5-7 days of meds for intestinal illness so it isn't an uncommon thing to do. Mine prefers to give 10 days to be sure the problem is g.o.n.e.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When it comes to bacteria, I have a "knock 'em down and stomp on them" attitude, :lol: ! Who knows what this was, and I wouldn't have even been worried immediately if she hadn't recently had a bout that went from bad to worse. This is how it usually goes--a bad day and a quick recovery with no need for the vet. And by "usually" I mean it's happened maybe 6 times in 5 years, and at least two of those were due to food changes.

Poor Greta, and poor you!

Did you get to meet the new vet at North Laurel Animal Hospital? I haven't met her yet, but the staff seems to like her.

I've got my fingers crossed that the wait for the sample winds up being helpful :-)