Surprise! Guess Who's Got Hookworm?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

So, I took Haka and Aleeya for their annual exam and shots yesterday... everything went fine all around. Dropped off the fecal sample (mix of both dogs sample) and thought nothing of it...

JUST got a call now, and guess what? Someone has hookworm! :jaw

blow me over with a feather, cuz there are no symptoms, which I told the vet-- guess I should count my blessings...

She asked if we know any puppies or new greyhounds... I said maybe 1 newer grey, she got to her home in April I think? And we know them from the greyhound hour that we go to (special, driving 30 minutes each way...) at a leashfree park.

So-- I'll be picking up the Panacur in a little while (I was ready before the Dr. was, she needs more time) and we can't go to the park on Sunday.

I also don't have contact information for the group there, so not sure how to tell them to be careful around the park-- I'm SURE That's where they got it, since no dogs poop in our backyard, they're not offleash anywhere else, we don't interact with other dogs or their poop...

sigh...

I'll focus on being glad we caught it (if indeed it's a true positive) and if the kids aren't feeling sick, hopefully we can just give the meds and they won't know the difference...

Guest sorenkkg
those things sneek up on ya,! don't they ?

:lol: apparently, right up yer bum! :P

funny, if this was a few years ago, I'd be freaking out... right now, I'm just like, ya, when can I get the stuff? Maybe cuz the dogs aren't "sick"...

of course, I brought this on myself :blink: in that at the vet yesterday, she was talking about how all the dogs got D this spring/summer (even got the same message in the greyhound newsletter that also arrived yesterday) and I said to the vet-- SHHHHH!!! we didn't get it this year!

:rolleyes:

Guest GentleHugs

Dog parks are notorious for dogs to pick up all sorts of stuff - worms, doggy flu - you name it. Guess that's why I'm glad we don't have a dog park close by.

Guest TBSFlame
So, I took Haka and Aleeya for their annual exam and shots yesterday... everything went fine all around. Dropped off the fecal sample (mix of both dogs sample) and thought nothing of it...

JUST got a call now, and guess what? Someone has hookworm! :jaw

blow me over with a feather, cuz there are no symptoms, which I told the vet-- guess I should count my blessings...

She asked if we know any puppies or new greyhounds... I said maybe 1 newer grey, she got to her home in April I think? And we know them from the greyhound hour that we go to (special, driving 30 minutes each way...) at a leashfree park.

So-- I'll be picking up the Panacur in a little while (I was ready before the Dr. was, she needs more time) and we can't go to the park on Sunday.

I also don't have contact information for the group there, so not sure how to tell them to be careful around the park-- I'm SURE That's where they got it, since no dogs poop in our backyard, they're not offleash anywhere else, we don't interact with other dogs or their poop...

sigh...

I'll focus on being glad we caught it (if indeed it's a true positive) and if the kids aren't feeling sick, hopefully we can just give the meds and they won't know the difference...

Count this as a blessing because they don't always show up in a sample.

Guest Energy11

A lot of them "going around!" This is what Dr. B, my former vet/employer said, when I asked HOW dogs on Heartworm preventative, with other worm protection get the worms ....

Monthly heartworm pills purge them of hookworms that day only. The hookworm lifecycle is 2 weeks. If that same dog was infected with hookworms and checked at day 14, it would be positive, but them those worms are killed next time the heartworm pill is given. Just depends on when the dog is checked! Usually means that the yard has got a problem with hookworm infestation.

Guest sorenkkg
Dog parks are notorious for dogs to pick up all sorts of stuff - worms, doggy flu - you name it. Guess that's why I'm glad we don't have a dog park close by.

I'm with you on that, but I'm also torn b/c with our kids high prey-drive, the greyhound hour is really the only time/place we can let them off leash and they can RUN (if properly motivate :P ), they run a bit in our yard but it's so small...

re: not showing in tests-- yes, we've experienced THAT side of things too... they were both having D the other year, and we tested, and it came back negative, and I got the vet to give us stuff anyway b/c we all know they don't show up all the time (but they were having intermittent D with some frequency, so we were all on the same page there--- and it got all fixed up!)

re: monthly treatment-- ya, we're on Revolution, which doesn't do hookworm. The vet says we don't need to switch unless they come up positive again (and again?), but interesting to know about that comment from your vet. Also, that lifecycle, that's why the D is/would be intermittent, and why the tests aren't always positive...

Sucks that we have all this information from experience eh? :rolleyes:

I'm still wondering where/when/who.... I guess I'll never know though?

Edited by sorenkkg

Guest GentleHugs
Sucks that we have all this information from experience eh? :rolleyes:

I'm still wondering where/when/who.... I guess I'll never know though?

Yes it sucks that we are that informed from experience but.... be glad we all (or most of us anyway) has that experience. Since you mixed the fecal samples together - it might be that both have hookworms - you never know. When one dog gets worms - sometimes all the dogs in the household gets them. It's always best to worm all the dogs at the same time especially if they live together in the same household. In your case, treating both at the same time will help and it's not going to hurt either one of them.

To be on the safe side, I'd still treat your yard as well even though it's small. They can still leave behind the eggs even from going pee or while lying down in the grass. I'd also wash their beds if you can and do a thorough vaccuuming of the house, too. If they sleep in your bed with you, I'd wash all of your bedding as well. Humans can get worms just the same as dogs do. If either one of your dogs are poop eaters, I'd get a muzzle on them with a poop cup or tape on the end to discourage it when they go outside to go potty. Eating poop is another way they can contract worms.

I'm a fanatic about picking up poop asap. Every time they go out - I go out and check for poop. That way I can spot any problems like worms, diarrhea, etc immediately and hopefully can identify which dog it's coming from. I have one girl who will eat anything in sight so it's not uncommon for her poop to have bits of crayon in it, toilet tissue, etc. None of my dogs eat poop though.

I'm sure you probably already know what to do since you were on top of things and took in a fecal sample as a routine thing so the above are just reminders. Good job on finding them early.

Guest sorenkkg

Just got back from the vet and picking up the meds-- this time, it's a pill (5.5 for him and 4.5 for her) one time today, once again in 2 weeks, and I have the jar for the sample to do 2 weeks after that 2nd dose-- all in going with the life cycle of these little monsters <_<

eta: I don't do well with giving them pills, so I went with the "hide in treat" method, which just went SUPER well... about a tsp of creamcheese, pills inside, rolled in powdered liver treat... no one can resist the power of the liver treat! :rolleyes:

yep, I'll be washing the covers on all the dog beds and couch, and vacuming... we just went through this but WORSE with Haka's ringworm in the spring... sigh...

luckily they're not poop eaters, but I'm thinking that along where we walk every day, some OTHER PEOPLE don't pick up their poop, and sometimes they do sniff it before we can stop them-- so I shouldn't put all my stock in the greyhound group park, it really could be anywhere.

they don't poop in our yard though, just play and sometimes pee--- what do you do to clean your yard? The vet said the sun will eventually dessicate everything... ??

Edited by sorenkkg

Guest Tuxsmom

I have a few choice words for hookworms !

glad your babies didn't get sick before you caught them. and glad the fecal caught them, too! since i am now learning you cant always trust a clean fecal..

good luck with all the treatments !

Guest Energy11
I have a few choice words for hookworms !

glad your babies didn't get sick before you caught them. and glad the fecal caught them, too! since i am now learning you cant always trust a clean fecal..

good luck with all the treatments !

No, you can't always trust a fecal :-( Depends on how much they take, and when. I hate those little buggers for what they are putting your babies through! :-((((((((((