Upper Pad Stll Bleeding

Ok since monday lexie's upper pad seemed to get cut or hurt probably by her cage we think. Anyway, i cleaned, put on anti stuff Everyday i would change dressing and there would still be some blood. Today it looked liked it stopped so i took it off.. A few hours later she went to bow and it cut open again. So back to bandaging. Please tell me she doesn't need stitches? What else can I do to stop the bleeding? It looks like it is a cut in the actually upper lil pad. the pad above the other paw pads. I really don't want to spend the money at the vet if all they will do is bandage. I would hate for her to have to get stitched. do they stich paw pads? TY. Any helpul advice greatly appreciated. I just been gauzing then using sports tape to keep it on.

she has been such a good trooper. she stands there so nice and lets me change the bandage..as if to say...mommy help heal me..lol

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest Energy11

All I can say is, I'd use Trypvzyme-V ointment or spray (not only an antibacterial, but it heals the wound), and keep the foot covered with a heavy toddler sock and bootie. It is splitting open because it is being used, ... walking, bowing, etc.

I the cut is DEEP enough, it might need stitches, in order to close. Good Luck!

Since the injury happened Monday, it may be too late to stitch it now. I'd keep doing what you're doing and keep it wrapped. It may be like a tail injury and take longer to heal than other injuries because of the pressure on it from walking.

edited to add: if it's deep it will have to heal from the inside out, so it will take much longer.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

ok ty. I don't know much about this so it may sound idiotic but you mean since it has started healing they won't stich ? or is it another reason? I will keep doing what I am doing. I just was wondering if there is something i am missing? ty ty

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest kydie

I too think it is too late now to stitch, I would, continue to bandage and cover with a baby sock, I love the baby sock trick

Edited by kydie

Guest Energy11
where do i buy that stuff pet store or human store?

Online or at your vets... http://www.petstruly.com/2233.html

It isn't cheap, BUT IT WORKS!

Since the injury happened Monday, it may be too late to stitch it now. I'd keep doing what you're doing and keep it wrapped. It may be like a tail injury and take longer to heal than other injuries because of the pressure on it from walking.

edited to add: if it's deep it will have to heal from the inside out, so it will take much longer.

True, on the stitching three/four days later, but, I have seen it done. As you said, Judy, it WILL take a while to heal, and with the Trypzyme-V, which I SWEAR by, it WILL heal ...

Guest Greensleeves

Several years ago, Flint had a cut at the tip of his ear that wouldn't stop bleeding for something like eighteen weeks. Every time he shook his head, the scab would come right off, and blood would spray everywhere. Our vets were discussing amputation of the entire ear flap. By coincidence, he had a (minor) allergic reaction to a vaccine on a Friday night, so we took him to the e-vet, who also looked at the ear and gave us some Panalog ointment. Within a week, the cut had healed.

I'd try something like that, or the product Energy mentioned, before you *quite* give up!

Good luck!

Guest Energy11

From our First Aid Seminar at Mt. Hounds ... hope this helps!

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

I didn't think they stitched pads but I'm not sure.

I always use Wound Kote and have been using it lately on Wayne. Open sore and after I spray it with the Wound Kote, it's scabbed already by the next morning.

Just used it on Ekko the other night as well. It's great stuff

ETA: A lot of people use the EMT gel and swear by it. I've never used it but it creates a seal

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It's pretty much never too late to stitch, but depending on exactly where, that's a difficult place and I suspect vet wouldn't stitch it. If it's bleeding a lot -- as in a steady stream -- she should be seen. If it's just a drop here and a drop there, it'll probably heal with time.

Here we:

-1- clean well ONCE with dilute Nolvasan or mild soap and water,

-2- rinse well with water,

-3- pat dry,

-4- apply blob of neosporin or SSD ointment to a nonstick bandage pad,

-5- plop that over the wound,

-6- secure with vet wrap (and if necessary teeny tiny tabs of sticky tape -- don't want much sticky tape on dog's fur, trust me on this one),

-7- keep bandage dry and leave in place for 1 day, then 2 days, then 3-4 days (you want to check on it first couple days; if all is well you can go longer between bandages). I don't clean at bandage changes, just repeat from -4- above.

-8- To keep pup from messing with it, cut the foot off a people sock and slide tubular ankle of sock over pup's bandage, secure around pup's ankle and above bandage with vetwrap.

-9- Any sign of swelling/puffiness, icky discharge, bad smell, etc., off to the vet ASAP.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ishapespace

Clean well with anti-bacterial soap and consider super glue. We've done that before. It works well for places you cannot wrap easily (like the face, or on the side, etc.)

Just a thought...

Guest KennelMom

ditto to what Batmom said.

They generally don't stitch older wounds because once the edges have started to heal and there's granulation already started, you just disturb the natural healing process that's going on. But they *can* stitch on old wound if necessary.

I can't imagine you'd need stitches, based on what you describe.

You'd be amazed at what can heal without stitches.