Cosmo's Chemo - Do I Need To Find Another Vet?

Tracey,

Dr Matz who's right in your backyard, has been doing chemo for a long time. She was our vet when we lived in Hamden and she's wonderful. She's not an oncologist but is quite experienced with it. I'm not sure where she works out of at this point though.

I can't believe I missed this post and it could not have come at a better time. What a day I've had. My vet called me to say the drugs had arrived but that after reading all the information he decided it was beyond his comfort level and I totally respect that. But every call I have made refers me back to Veterinary Oncology and Hematology . I called them and it's about $400 a visit not including the drugs and they WON'T use the ones OSU has provided which would bump it to about $1000 a visit. I was starting to feel like we're running out of options because we just can't afford that. Then I see your post.

And the name Dr. Matz sounded really familiar. And I thought back to last September when Cosmo got an infection in her foot on a day my vet couldn't fit her in. And I called around and wound up talking to Mobile Veterinary Services and to a vet who was extremely kind and helpful. Long story short, I will call her first thing Monday. Thanks so much; I could kiss you!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Tracey, I am so glad that you have a lead on a vet with experience in chemo. I am also very sorry that you have had a problem with Dr. Vilar. He took such excellent care of my Joey (not a cancer patient). However, he does have a very thick accent -- he moved here from Spain just 2 years ago. It is difficult to understand him even in face to face conversation, more difficult on the phone I'm sure. If you continue to have communication issues, I would just be upfront and ask to have someone else handle your case because you have trouble understanding Dr. Vilar. I don't think anyone would take offense at that. All of the vets in Dr. Couto's group come from Spanish speaking countries, however the others speak English quite well with less of an accent (they've been here longer). You might want to speak with Dr. Lili Marin or Dr. Sara Zaldivar. Also, Dr. Couto is finally back in town after a month long absence overseas.

I hope you have success on Monday with Dr. Matz. I am also very glad that your regular vet was honest about his abilities in handling chemo. Just like I wouldn't have my general practitioner handle cancer treatment in me, I wouldn't do that with my dog. General practitioners just need to have so much breadth of knowledge they can't treat the details of every illness themselves. It sounds like Dr. Matz might be a general practitioner that has decided to specialize in cancer. I hope she can help you.

I am so sorry that you and Cosmo have to go through this, I really HATE HATE HATE this disease.

Guest GreenGreys

Tracey,

Just wondering if you have been able to arrange chemo for your girl, Cosmo? Ranger had his first session this morning and so far so good.

Pat

Tracey,

Just wondering if you have been able to arrange chemo for your girl, Cosmo? Ranger had his first session this morning and so far so good.

Pat

I left a message with Dr. Matz's staff today and she returned my call tonight but by then we were out. I'll have to call her again tomorrow. But I did appreciate her trying to reach me at 8:15 tonight after a long day of appointments.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.