Swelling, Pain And Limping After Run

Guest ArtysPeople

Guest ArtysPeople

I'll start off by saying that Arty is a healthy 4-year-old dog who retired racing before he was 2 and had no injuries that we have ever seen evidence of. I am not even slightly concerned that this might be osteosarcoma or the like. So here's the story, and maybe someone can advise:

Three weeks ago, Arty suffered a laceration while demonstrating lure coursing, and ended up with seven stitches on the lower part of his left rear leg. He had two small (2cm) lacerations, one on the inside and one on the outside of his lower leg, with the top of the laceration right next to/over (depending on how his skin stretched and swelled) his knee joint.

I mention this because he was on strict rest for two weeks, no running and only walking around the block to relieve himself. He got the stitches out after two weeks, and after a week of slightly increased activity (longer walks), we took him to a fenced field to play fetch yesterday. He ran for 5 minutes or so of fetch using a tennis ball and chuckit; we stopped before he seemed completely exhausted, and he did not suffer any obvious injuries during play.

That evening, I noticed he was limping slightly during our evening walk, particularly when he tried to trot rather than just walk. He was limping again this morning, and I thought maybe he had pulled a muscle during the run yesterday and that was giving him pain. He has also been having trouble rising/lowering himself from a lying down position, which I also attributed to sore muscles.

However, this afternoon, I noticed that the ligament (is that what it is?) that runs up the back of his leg is swollen on the leg that had the stitches, particularly right above the knee joint. There is a small ball of swelling right above the knee, and the ligament is swollen all the way up when compared to the other one. Since he's a white dog and doesn't have much fur back there, we can also see it's red, though that might be from all my poking around. :blush He does not react when I squeeze or manipulate his leg -- unless he's trying to move it doesn't seem to bother him.

We're icing for 20 minutes at a time with frozen peas in a tea towel, and plan to take him to his regular vet this week, but I was wondering if anyone recognized this injury from personal experience. I'm really hopeful that whatever it is, Arty can recover and run like he loves to do -- even better if it doesn't involve surgery.

Also, can we give him anything we have in the medicine cabinet -- Advil, Aspirin or something else -- for the pain and swelling until we get to the vet?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Guest Energy11

You can give (1) 81 mg coated or buffered aspirin. NO Advil, Tylenol or Ibuprohen.

Might be infected, muscle might be pulled, hard to say.

The vet needs to look at it, and he'll probably be back on leash walking for a while, and a canine anti-inflammatory like Deramaxx or Metacam.

Good Luck!

I'd not give him anything, personally, until you've seen the vet.

You don't want to mask the pain and therefore make him feel well enough to overdo things and you don't want to mask the pain before any vet visit or else the vet won't get a clear indication of what the issue is.

Hope he gets better soon!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest ArtysPeople

Thanks for the reply. He was on antibiotics for 10 days following the initial injury and the vet saw him when the stitches were removed and remarked how good the wound was healing, so I'm not too concerned about infection, but I'll keep an eye out for it anyhow!

I just found the thread from earlier last week where the puppy tore his ACL, and thankfully we're not dealing with anything that bad. We just did our evening walk, and he's still only limping when he does a "trot" speed, but he's in pain going up the stairs, for sure. It took a lot of encouragement to get him to do the third flight. For now, we're continuing to ice every few hours and keeping him quiet until we can get him in to the vet this week.

Guest BatesieGreys

If you do decide to give him aspirin, make sure that it is the buffered kind and not the enteric coated. They cannot break down the enteric coating so it does them no good. Good luck. Hope he's up and running soon.

Guest ArtysPeople

Thanks for all the replies, and here are some pictures! I haven't given him anything after reading your responses, but we're continuing to ice every few hours. He seemed to be better today -- the stairs didn't cause him nearly as much trouble -- but we're still taking it easy. We have an appointment for Wed. with the new vet at Maine Greyhound Placement Service. She's got a background with dog sports medicine (mushing, dock diving, etc.) so hopefully she'll have an idea what's going on.

Sorry for the poor lighting, but the flash wasn't working this morning. The leg on top is the one with the swelling, with the largest lump where the pen is pointing. This is from behind.

ArtysLeg1.jpg

And here's a shot from directly overhead. You can just make out the scar from his injury -- it's the red line.

ArtysLeg2.jpg

And here he is being a good boy and humoring mama who wants to tie frozen peas to his leg:

ArtysLeg3.jpg\

Although we have a vet appointment, I'd still appreciate hearing from anyone who has seen similar injuries, because I'm going to be all worried until Wed.!

Hard to tell from the lighting, but looks like he bowed a tendon.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Hannah

Holly did something to her 'shoulder' during a spell of very dry weather. she too has a chuckit and I think she just ran too far and too fast for too long on grass that was harder than concrete. she was lame for a few days afterwards. I was a horrible mean mum and wouldnt let her run full blast for about a week and then she did it again.

we were due at the vets for her anual MOT and boosters so I asked him about it. he agreed that it was too far/fast/long but added that a sports injury like that will take about 3 times longer than you think to properly heal and to try and take her places to swim rather than run for 6 weeks or so.

fortunately holly loves swimming and we have a water sports lake near us she can swim in :)

ive just started letting her run full speed again on the grass (lots of rain so not as rock hard as it was) and so far she is doing OK.

fingers crossed that it's just too much too soon.

Guest ArtysPeople

Thanks for the tip on "bowed tendon". I'd never heard that term before, but I found a lot searching for it thru Google. It was mostly about horses, but it gave me some idea of the type of injury and recovery treatments.

I just remembered that the vet tech mentioned that with his laceration, it was "right down to the sheath". Of course, with a greyhound, there's nothing between the skin and the sheath anyhow. :lol I wonder if the laceration (he got caught on the lure cord while it was moving) might have irritated the tendon sheath and caused this? Hm. Well, I hope the vet on Wed. can help.

Guest ArtysPeople

Saw the vet today, and feeling better. She thinks it is a "weekend warrior" type injury, i.e., doing too much too soon after being on restricted activity due to the sutures. Rx: two more weeks of bed rest, followed by three weeks of very gradual re-introduction of off-lead exercise.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I'm really hopeful that's what it is, and that Arty heals up as well as she thinks he will. I just can't imagine life for my poor boy if he couldn't chase tennis balls anymore!