Allergies?

Guest BatesieGreys

Guest BatesieGreys

Okay, well, I have read all of the other posts on rashes and food allergies and itchiness. Unfortunately, I still have a BUNCH of questions.

We have had Daisy for 9 days. For the first 4 or so days she was fine. Then I noticed her itching a lot more. she was biting at her hips (both sides) and scratching her neck (possibly ears?) Yesterday I noticed that she is sneezing a bit too. She did it once last night (and I got splattered with puppy snot...what an experience). She also had a bit of a sneezing fit this afternoon. She is also biting at the base of her tail and licking her hips now.

She is on flea stuff. She got it at the kennel and isn't due for another dose yet. I gave her a bath on Thursday because I had noticed her itching. There are NO signs of fleas or flea dirt on her anywhere and NONE appeared in the bath either. In addition to the traditional Grey bald spots, she also has bald spots on her outer thighs.

She is currently eating Purina Dog Chow (green bag). *Please do not flame me for her choice of food. It is what she was being fed at the rescue and I didn't want to immediately change any more things than I had to in her life. I am currently on a search for a new food and will begin transitioning her shortly.* She receives a powder dental health supplement on her food, but no other additives. For treats she has received peanut butter filled Kongs and cheese when training (although she itches even when not given cheese for days).

I have no idea if this is a food allergy of some sort. Do dogs have peanut allergies like people do? She does not seem to be lactose intolerant (luckily we do not have a smelly hound at all!). Could it be a seasonal allergy of some sort? How do I figure out if it is food or seasonal? Does this warrant a vet visit? The sneezing makes me thing seasonal, but I have no idea if a food allergy would cause sneezing. It has been raining a lot here and the grass has grown high where we take her out (public property across the street). It hasn't been cut in a while because it rained for nearly three solid weeks. Should I try Benadryl to see if that helps her?

Any help would be GREYTLY appreciated. Thanks,

Kira (and Itchy Daisy)

ETA that she is also on antibiotics (clindamycin) because she had a dental cleaning, although we are almost done those.

Edited by BatesieGreys

Wayne has both food allerigies and seasonal allergies. Both have been under control for 3 years.

For some reason, this summer is the worst for him, he's doing exactly what your girl is doing and in the same spots.

After talking to my vet, we decided to continue the Benadryl only we have increased the dose quite a bit. My vet told me it would take about a week to know if the increase dose was going to help, but it's been 4 days and it's already started to help.

The one thing about Benadryl is it's safe and will do no harm, but may do a lot of good

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It could be food but if she's eating what she was getting at the rescue then I would hazard a guess that it's seasonal. If she weighs over 50lb. you can give her 50mg. of Benadryl every 4 to 6 hours. If that doesn't take care of it, then I'd contact the vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11
It could be food but if she's eating what she was getting at the rescue then I would hazard a guess that it's seasonal. If she weighs over 50lb. you can give her 50mg. of Benadryl every 4 to 6 hours. If that doesn't take care of it, then I'd contact the vet.

"Ditto" on the Benedryl and the dose.

Hope this all clears up soon!

Something I just learned about Benadryl. They can safely take a much higher dose that I ever thought. My vet just told me that a lot of times Benadryl does not work because it's not a high enough dose.

Wayne is 75lbs and he's on 100mg 3x a day, and my vet is one of the most conservative ones out there

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest MyBoys

My senior boy has seasonal allergies and this spring seems to have really been tough for his allergies, Benadryl seems to give him relief he needs.

Guest Energy11

Something I just learned about Benadryl. They can safely take a much higher dose that I ever thought. My vet just told me that a lot of times Benadryl does not work because it's not a high enough dose.

Wayne is 75lbs and he's on 100mg 3x a day, and my vet is one of the most conservative ones out there

Wow... Dr. B. recommends 50 mg, every four hours if needed. Is Wayne really tired? Hope it is helping him!

Wow... Dr. B. recommends 50 mg, every four hours if needed. Is Wayne really tired? Hope it is helping him!

Dee, the increase dose has done the trick and he's not tired or sleepy at all.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest Energy11

Dee, the increase dose has done the trick and he's not tired or sleepy at all.

That is WONDERFUL! Good for Wayne, and thanks for the info. on the dosing, too!