Nose Wound

My foster, Bobbi, has a wound on her nose that has not yet healed. Best guesses are that she hurt her nose and then prolonged use of a muzzle has prevented it from healing and made it worse. She is a retired brood momma. Anyway, she has been banned from wearing a muzzle (she's too sweet to need one anyway) and I've been putting some super-cream the vet gave me on the wound. My problems are these:

1) She hates, hates, hates having it messed with (I'm sure it's very sore). I have to back her into a corner and hold her mouth to get her to hold still so I can put the cream on. She bares her teeth when I do it (although she does not tense and has not tried to bite me). I think she's just letting me know how much she hates it. I give her cookies and such immediately after and I do my very best to be extremely gentle. Any other ideas?

2) She immediately works at licking the cream off. I have no idea how to prevent her from getting to it. Yesterday and today I have stood holding her nose for 30sec - 1 minute after I put the cream on to at least let it it a little before she starts licking. The cream tastes really nasty, so an "ick" spray won't prevent it. Ideas?

Gratuitous photos :wub:

bobbibed2.gif

bobbiyard1.gif

And a link to her foster blog: Bobbi's Blog

Might try both the nose holding for a minute and then immediately giving her a glob of peanutbutter spread out on a plate, or even a stuffed Kong. That might keep her licking something *else* for a bit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Can't help with licking it off, but putting it on:

1) If she enjoys having her ears cleaned, stick your finger in the ear and clean it while another person applies the cream.

2) If that doesn't work, start petting her and then rub the eyes- get the whole palm of the hand over the eyes and just rub. In the 3-4 seconds that you have while she can't see, get the other person to apply the cream.

The second one also works for clipping nails on dogs that REALLY don't enjoy that, but they have to be lying down.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Momofsweetpotatoes had a thread years ago about how she got cream on Yardman's nose and then she held her finger over so he couldn't lick it off... I"ll see if it's still around... otherwise I'd pm either Mom or Dad of sweetpotatoes and see if they have any advice. :)

Phooey! The thread has been deleted and MOS is no longer active :( I believe DOS is though.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What Batmom said. As soon as you put the med on, give her a piece of bread with a bunch of penut butter. Let her get it stuck to the roof of her mouth, that will distract her for a while, maybe.

I tried the peanut butter on a plate trick and that seemed to help. At least the cream stayed on a little longer... I think I need to refine my technique for spreading it on the plate so she has to work at it harder. Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

Just thought I'd toss a little "great news" into the H&M forum...

Bobbi got adopted :yay

Her nose is looking wonderful, and her adopters are doing great with the peanut butter on the plate trick. She is so, so happy with them it melts my heart :wub:

Guest BiancasMom

Have you taken her to see the vet for it? This wound resembles what my Australian Shepherd had. It was diagnosed as Discoid Lupus (an autoimmune disease). It started out as just a pink spot and then turned to a sore. We had originally thought he was just rooting in his bedding too much. It was very sensitive and when i would apply cream he would wrinkle his lips too but he was not being aggressive it was and "ouch" cringing look. Sometimes he would sneeze after like it was really sensitive. This location on the nose is notorious for Lupus and Pemphigus. I tried many therapies with my dog but ended up with him on Prednisone. Eventually we learned if we kept him out of the sun as much as possible he could be weaned off the pred in winter months. Hope this is helpful! Good luck!

Have you taken her to see the vet for it? This wound resembles what my Australian Shepherd had. It was diagnosed as Discoid Lupus (an autoimmune disease). It started out as just a pink spot and then turned to a sore. We had originally thought he was just rooting in his bedding too much. It was very sensitive and when i would apply cream he would wrinkle his lips too but he was not being aggressive it was and "ouch" cringing look. Sometimes he would sneeze after like it was really sensitive. This location on the nose is notorious for Lupus and Pemphigus. I tried many therapies with my dog but ended up with him on Prednisone. Eventually we learned if we kept him out of the sun as much as possible he could be weaned off the pred in winter months. Hope this is helpful! Good luck!

I did take her to the vet (that's where I got the "super-cream"; it is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc.). We discussed that it might be pemphigus because of the location, but we agreed that we would try the cream first and re-check in two weeks to see how it is doing. If it doesn'[t get better, we will do more tests. It already looked 1000x better after just 4 days.